• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Game crashes : is there any known necessary redistributables ?

Ronchon

Hi,

I'm testing my game with some people.
It works for everyone but one person where the game program crashes without any error.
His game works in the main menu (so it successfully launches and all) but crashes when joining an actual game (windows error of 'program encountered an error and will close).
Because its a distant machine i can't really have a look in details about what's going on, and i can't have a look a this machine myself or run extended tests and debugging myself.

Without error messages i have no idea where it's coming from... and because there's no error i'm suspecting its not a crash from the 'game' but potentially more the engine itself because of some unknown incompatibilities.
Could it be because of missing redistributable or dlls on his machine ? ( considering it works fine on others, and how that sometimes happens with some games ).
Is there any known list of necessary redistributables ?

- The specs of his PC are not an issue ( recent high spec machine, similar or superior to the one of other players ).
- The game is a windows basic build ( not YYC ).
- I use GLSL shaders (could it come from here ?)
- I used these graphic settings (maybe texture pages can be an issue ?)

Anyone has an idea of what could cause these crashes ?
Or how to proceed to find out what's causing these crashes ?
Maybe someone has encountered a similar situations ?

Any help or advices would be greatly apreciated!

johnwo

The specs of his PC are not an issue
If you don't know what the core of the issue is, how can you know that the specs aren't contributing to it?

What about OS? Is it Windows(I assume this based on the screenshot), Linux, Mac? In that case which version?
What about graphics drivers, etc?

It sounds like there's a programming error somewhere, in either the core game or a DLL/GEX (if used.) but I can't say for sure; Just talking from experience.

Cheers!

Ronchon

Thanks for the quick answer!
I meant it as in "specs too low are causing crashes". But in this case its a computer with pretty much similar or higher specs as mine or the other players.

less than 6 months old PC, 16gb of ram, Windows 10, recent Nvidia graphics card and processor. I mean way more powerfull than anything required.
The game has been tested and running successfully on different machines on Windows 7, 8 and 10. And on PCs with lower specs.
His PC is a x64 system. As are all the other machines of the other players it's been tested on.
So yes i only meant specs are not an issue regarding the performance level (Now it could be a material specific incompatibility, but i don't know how to find out anyways ).

I only use one extension : FMOD ( a sound extension ).
Considering he can load the main menu and all ( so after the extension is loaded ) and that the sound also works fine in his menu ( music and sound effects ) , to me it lowers the probablity of the problem beeing caused by it.

That's why i was thinking that maybe its something like these Visual c++ redistributable versions you sometimes have to install for a game to work correctly ? I know it happened to me sometimes, to have a game crashing and in fact needing one specific version to be installed to work properly...

Anyway, how can i proceed to debug this ? Considering its not a machine i have direct access to... i don't know where to start :(

K

KriLL

Hi
Crashing can be for any number of reasons but most are due to driver or direct x issues. I have 16GB of RAM, an Intel i7, Geforce 780Ti running on Windows 10 and I have no issues running the game I have made at all.

How did you compile your game? There are a few options - straight up .exe or an installer?
You could try the other method to see if that helps.

I have seen a memory leak in my game once where it was using 1.5GB of memory. It wouldn't work on my friends surface pro which had Windows 8 and 4GB of ram. Kept getting an out of memory error on there.
That bug was caused by 1.5MB corrupted flash files I was using for graphics. We recreated the flash files and their file size went down to 15KB even though they looked no different.

You say there is no error message but if a program aborts abnormally you may get an error in his event view under the Application or System section. (right click start menu > event view > windows logs > application)

Other things to try.

Is it on the first level after the menu? Can you alter your save file to help him to unlock all the levels so he can skip to a later one to see it crashes there.

I have had some very nasty bugs that has taken me a while to figure out. Most of the time I save my game, create a clone of it and then start ripping big chunks out to see if that makes any difference. If you see it starting to work after a big chunk out then keep breaking those chunks down till you get closer.

I would start though with that mod of yours. Remove that and see if it crashes. He could have some odd sound drivers running. Sound card manufactures don't update their drivers very regularly.

Ronchon

The game was compiled as a direct .exe , so there's no installer ( steam ).
I'll ask him to look for an error event in his system, thanks for the idea!

I'll also try to prepare a version with that sound mod disabled to see if that helps... I guess maybe i should consider removing it altogether definitively so i can limit risks of issues. I used to rely on multiple extensions and little by little i removed them because they always turned out to be problematic for GM updates, or compatibility... This one seemed to work though :( But yeah as a precaution i should try to use the vanilla sound system.