• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Windows Game crashes if room width/height exceeds 16834 pixels with viewports disabled. [SOLVED]

inertias

Hey everyone, so I encountered a pretty strange issue using gms2,

if I try to set my room size, width OR height (keep in mind there are 0 objects in the room messing with anything, it's a blank canvas) to anything above 16384 pixels with "enable viewports" disabled, I receive a series of strange errors before the game starts. Here are the errors:

The game will actually run after these errors, but it's just a blank screen.
Now you might say "okay, just enable viewports and problem solved," while true, if I leave this option disabled and enable it via my own code and make a camera view, I'll still get these errors because it seems they occur before the game even starts up. This makes creating views manually really annoying.

Any help? Is this a gms2 bug? I thought rooms can be much bigger than this no?

Smiechu

Is your initialization room so big? If you set a initialization room to smaller size i.e. main game manu and then start your "big" room is it ok???

Geoff Jones

Are you using surfaces? It's probably a surface that is set to the width of the room. Surfaces seem to have issues when they are set bigger than 16834 px

inertias

Oh, interesting! Yes, if I create an initi room that is smaller than 16834 and have it just go to the next room,
Is your initialization room so big? If you set a initialization room to smaller size i.e. main game manu and then start your "big" room is it ok???
Oh, interesting! Yes, if I create an initial room that is smaller than 16834 and have it just go to the next room that is bigger than 16834 it'll work with no crashes! Not sure why I have to do this though, but it works so w/e lol. Thank you!

@Geoff Jones I am not using surfaces. I believe this will happen even with a new, blank project.

Smiechu

Oh, interesting! Yes, if I create an initial room that is smaller than 16834 and have it just go to the next room that is bigger than 16834 it'll work with no crashes! Not sure why I have to do this though, but it works so w/e lol. Thank you!
It's possible that gms is pre-initializing some things at start up, on base of the initial room. It could be a surface, blank project is using at least one surface for main display.