• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

HTML5 Game Controlling Weird in HTML

C

Colcoction

I recently made a simple pong-clone type of game in GM:S Professional Edition, and everything works fine until I try to play it in HTML5. I've uploaded it to itch.io [here] where you can play it and feel what's wrong. The paddle should move up and down responsively with the pressing of the up and down arrow keys, but for some reason it doesn't work half the time and either doesn't move at all, or keeps moving even after I let go of the key. You can download the single executable file on the itch.io page if you really want to see how it's supposed to work, but the problem should be obvious.

To be clear, the paddle controls flawlessly when running as a Windows .exe. It only becomes wonky when it's in HTML5.

I have no idea what could be causing this, besides that I used the built-in "speed" and "direction" functions (for the ball, not the paddle), which I have never used before. What could be different between the HTML5 version and the Windows version, and is there anything that can be done about it? This isn't a particularly important game to me, but I would really like to know for future projects.