• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Legacy GM Game behavior and bug..

N

NeonBits

When compiling, GM tells you when there's a coding mistake. The same, at some point during the game. Sometimes, there is no message but the game behaves strangely. I was wondering, if there's bad coding, can this affect the game balance immediatly after compiling or does the symptoms appear in general where that code appears (like an object or a script in a specefic room)?

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Pretty much anything can happen depending on what affects what in your code, and which part of it does not do what you think it does. That's why it's called "unexpected behavior" - you can't expect the unexpectable unless you're watching Ugandan movies, and since this is the GameMaker Community, there's no real answer for this question.

N

NeonBits

you can't expect the unexpectable unless you're watching Ugandan movies
I'm from the futur; I'm unable to understand what that means; are you saying they're great at coding, worst, or that they can read the invisible binary flows behind each event; hah, that explains why Morpheus is so wise! And I thought TheMatrix was only a movie.. How can I reach them for an advice?
this is the GameMaker Community, there's no real answer for this question.
Ok where is the official Yoyo staff message board; if the community doesn't have the answer, I must stop praying and reach directly for the Gods! Everything is fine in the game so far. 99% of it. I just get those two green lights.

Last edited by a moderator:

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
There's no "official message board". There's a technical support board, but that's for technical questions. There's also a technical support forum on the GMC - you are here - and you've already received the only answer there is to find (unless I misunderstood the question - if you think this is the case, please clarify): Unexpected problems lead to unexpected behavior. Where this behavior will manifest is unexpectable, as it depends entirely on the user's code, not on the game engine and its underlying functionality. Pardon my potentially confusing usage of references to obscure running gags.

N

NeonBits

Thank you for supporting my technical questions on here; coding can be exhausting as unexpected behavior comes from unexpected problems; there's definitly a need for a community's technical support forum. Those underlying functionalities do truly some confusing obscure running gags on me. I'm speaking of my code. If I was staff I would avoid people like me to preserve my sanity and not make an "official board"...
which was a joke when asking; just in case..
Unexpected problems lead to unexpected behavior. Where this behavior will manifest is unexpectable
Anyway, in my case, I predict it'll return me back here ; D
Technical support forum on the GMC - you are here - and you've already received the only answer there is to find
and since this is the GameMaker Community, there's no real answer for this question.
D'OH!

-

Ok thanks for your first answer, it's the one I was looking for.

Last edited by a moderator: