• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE game backups

C

Capptianm

Gamemaker just froze on me, and I'm afraid that I didn't save in a while. Is there a backup?
I'm using Gamemaker Studio 2, and the game froze when I went to create a new sprite from an image

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
GMS2 saves automatically on most "important" operations (adding assets, running game, renaming assets). Consider saving more often and using version control though.

C

Capptianm

GMS2 saves automatically on most "important" operations (adding assets, running game, renaming assets). Consider saving more often and using version control though.
THANK YOU! how would I load the backup though?

There is no backup folder in GMS 2 with the entire project saved separately to another location (as was the case in GMS 1.4)

All the automatic saves are to the live copy of your project. So you just need kill your frozen IDE and reload the project. Everything should be nearly up to date (usually), except for the most recent stuff you did.

Definitely recommend manually saving (hit CTRL+S) after doing important bits though, and setup Source Control for long term backup and recovery strategy.

M

MadZenno

Try next time to run a backup software on your important folders (including GMS2).

C

Capptianm

There is no backup folder in GMS 2 with the entire project saved separately to another location (as was the case in GMS 1.4)

All the automatic saves are to the live copy of your project. So you just need kill your frozen IDE and reload the project. Everything should be nearly up to date (usually), except for the most recent stuff you did.

Definitely recommend manually saving (hit CTRL+S) after doing important bits though, and setup Source Control for long term backup and recovery strategy.
Thank you so much for your help!

This is a pretty dumb weakness. GMS2 is missing seemingly basic features like mass resource importing and a back-up sysyem

rytan451

Haha, no. Modern IDEs (like Visual Studio) and competing game engines (like Unity) don't use a backup system. They support source control, and that's the backup system.