Design Game background ideas

jazzzar

So long story short, you guys already know i'm making a dark themed puzzle game, so for now i was using a solid dark gray color for the background, i think i need to change that now :p
i was thinking about something like limbo's background :

like this, forget the grass, just that dark sad looking thing in the back, any idea how i can accomplish something like this, i tried drawing something and giving it some blur, but nah it looked so bad, i'm actually bad :(, any help would be appreciated

RangerX

Well, its hard to give you background ideas while it 100% depend on what your game is, its look and what's happening in there. Maybe even your story and your game mechanics. A background could litterally be anything....

jazzzar

Well, its hard to give you background ideas while it 100% depend on what your game is, its look and what's happening in there. Maybe even your story and your game mechanics. A background could litterally be anything....
i already said, something dark and sad, it's a puzzle game actually, and want it to look like the one i showed (from limbo), how can i achieve THAT look, which program to use?

S

seanm

@Jas would know. At least I'm pretty sure he made/is making a game with a very similar art style.

But for the most part its just high resolution line art that is blurred, and given parallax scrolling.

likely each layer of parallax is blurred more or less depending on depth.

jazzzar

@Jas would know. At least I'm pretty sure he made/is making a game with a very similar art style.

But for the most part its just high resolution line art that is blurred, and given parallax scrolling.

likely each layer of parallax is blurred more or less depending on depth.
mine gawd.. so any specific program to use?

S

seanm

Depends. You could probably get away with blurring everything in an external editor, and this would save performance as well.

But no specific programs no; photoshop, inkscape, illustrator, gimp, w.e image editing software you have.

Take a look at GmWolf on youtube ie @Fel666 on these forums

Just do some parallax scrolling, and blur the elements either with a shader, or in your image editing software.

Then mix in some blurry fog sprites as well.

jazzzar

Depends. You could probably get away with blurring everything in an external editor, and this would save performance as well.

But no specific programs no; photoshop, inkscape, illustrator, gimp, w.e image editing software you have.

Take a look at GmWolf on youtube ie @Fel666 on these forums

Just do some parallax scrolling, and blur the elements either with a shader, or in your image editing software.

Then mix in some blurry fog sprites as well.
thanks so much for that :)