• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Game art design direction

T

Two_kings_Games

So making a game. When walking around the camera should change to set angles. If you're going north or south the camera wil be ether on your back or front. Then at certain times when You go left or right down a street, the camera should change to your side so that you can only see the building from that side view angle with everything else in the scene. Because of this I think I want to do a mix of 3d and sprites and the first two pictures are the best examples I could find. The last two are images I through together as more of an illustration.

So my question is how do I do this in gamemaker? Does gamemaker work with 3d? Or is what im trying to achieve can be done with 2.5d. There will be no platforming of any kind, just some puzzle solving, so im using this affect more for aesthetics and feel.

Sorry about the long message but I do't know any other way to really say what Im trying to do. But games that do things similar are:

Paper Mario 1 and 2
Silent Hill
resident evil

Screenshot_(7).jpg Screenshot_(9).jpg Screenshot_(10).jpg Screenshot_(11).jpg

Paper Mario and Resident Evil are sort of doing the opposite things. 2D sprites on 3D backgrounds vs. 3D models on 2D backgrounds. Silent Hill is just a fully 3D game. Regardless, they're all doing the same thing in the background. Yes, GM:S can do 3D, but you'll need to do much more work for it compared to other engines. Still not too much work, as 3D collisions and graphics this simple shouldn't be too difficult in GMS based off the few 3D games I've made.

T

Two_kings_Games

Paper Mario and Resident Evil are sort of doing the opposite things. 2D sprites on 3D backgrounds vs. 3D models on 2D backgrounds. Silent Hill is just a fully 3D game. Regardless, they're all doing the same thing in the background. Yes, GM:S can do 3D, but you'll need to do much more work for it compared to other engines. Still not too much work, as 3D collisions and graphics this simple shouldn't be too difficult in GMS based off the few 3D games I've made.

Ok so I'm looking to do is "2d sprites on 3d backgrounds". I'm guessing it would be something like making 2d sprite tiles and placing it on a 3d wall. Or making entire house with all fours sides being 2d and placing it on top of a square box. I'll try looking up where to learn to do this. thank you very much. Please if you have recommendations or advice for this let me know. thank you

Niels

What you are talking about is "billboarding".

Billboarding is projecting 2d sprites in a 3D enviroment in a way that they always face the camera.

Good example of this are the games:
-Octopath traveler
-Shantae: 1/2 genie hero

And a a game that uses the reverse (3d models in a 2d world)
-dead cells

A other technique that you can use, is using a perspective camera in a 2D world (with depth layers) like hollow knight.

T

Two_kings_Games

What you are talking about is "billboarding".

Billboarding is projecting 2d sprites in a 3D enviroment in a way that they always face the camera.

Good example of this are the games:
-Octopath traveler
-Shantae: 1/2 genie hero

And a a game that uses the reverse (3d models in a 2d world)
-dead cells

A other technique that you can use, is using a perspective camera in a 2D world (with depth layers) like hollow knight.

Thank you thank you thank you. I have a solid idea and have seen this in games before but had no idea what it was called. I typed it in and instantly found vids and lessons on how to do this. yeah the world I'm trying to create won't have any platforming or interactions other than going in and out doors, talking and puzzles stuff like that. Also like I said you'll be going down single paths and areas and then the camera should turn to a side view to see buildings on that street corner only. everything else is just to add visuals. So the building 3d with some sprite effects to get a cartoon feel and the people themselves sprites. Now I have everything I need and hope to show some hard results. You both have been great

T

Two_kings_Games

Ah yeah I guess Super Mario 64 also does this. I started learning blender and have a far better understanding. So going to work on some buildings. LOL so now I need to balance gamemaker, Blender, and basic art to learn. but this is fun. once again everyone thank you for you help in this subject. I know how to get the environment I want now