• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

.g80 and .g70 sandbox cache files: Help Me Recover My Old Games!

Greetings.
I had used GameMaker for quite a long time. The first version I installed was GameMaker 7 (That is, not GameMaker: Studio).
Back then there used to be a Yoyogames Sandbox website where people could publish their games.
That service was later shut down. People were able to recover the games on that website, but only the ones that were on there in 2014.

Because I was young at the time, I had deleted the majority of the games I had published there before 2014 out some misplaced disdain over how sloppy they were.
Since then, I have wanted to somehow recover these games of mine so I could enjoy them in all their crude glory. However, searching multiple computers I had at
the time yielded no results. I could not find my old games anywhere, but I seemed to have found some remnants of them in a directory on an old laptop.

This directory contained a bunch of folders named with strings of numbers such as 263007. Inside each of these folders are two files: "info.dat" and "[Name of game].g80/.g70/.g81"
Note that the .g80 file is not a .gm80 file, which could have been directly imported into GameMaker.
Given the size of the .g80 files, I suspect that they contain the data for the game, but in a compressed format that was used in something like the old GameMaker Player or as a cache of some sort.
Analyzing both files with a hex editor reveals very little about the purpose or contents of these files (there aren't even any readable strings!), so I am trying to see if anyone here remembers what they are for.
Ideally, I would like to use these to reconstruct the project file or executable so that I can play these games once more.

Here is a link to download a .zip with the contents of the cache folder for one of my ancient games, in case you want to have a look for yourself.

renex

these are sandbox roms - there's a tool to get data out of g70s, but i'm afraid no such tool was made for g80 and g81 files.

you'd have better luck looking at the yoyo sandbox archival project though - they have the majority of original exes uploaded to the sandbox, so you should be able to find your games in exe form.