• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Design Fun RPG Combat System Ideas?

E

ethian

For those who complain because of the tradicional RPG combat system saying that is boring to play, and the ones who are inspired to make an original videogame because of Undertale and they think on make the RPG combat system be bullet-avoiding but they can't put it because its in use...

Can you give to those people, ideas of fun RPG combat systems?

I'm part of this people, just in case...

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
This forum works like this: First, you present your own idea(s). Then, other people can contribute.

Please fulfill step 1 before moving on to step 2, as that would essentially just be people giving you ideas without you doing anything for it.

I would describe the system I use in my own game in great detail, but then you or all of the other people who are complaining wouldn't be able to use it in their game anyway because I already use it, so that would be pointless.

In my experience, there is no consistent way to generate a good idea. However, there is a consistent way to determine if an idea is good or not.

So as general advice, try this: come up with an idea. Scrap it if it's bad. Repeat until you come up with something good and original.

Other people can't do that process for you.

E

ethian

First, you present your own idea(s). Then, other people can contribute.
ry this: come up with an idea. Scrap it if it's bad.
Random ideas is just what comes to my mind, no matter if they're bad, the most fun part is to make them.

Ideas are :

A combat system where you need to shake your hands quickly as possible to test your luck...

Or a combat system with a slot machine (This idea isn't mine, is from someone else's reply from another thread of mine)

D

Danei

How about a combat system where you use music theory to construct chords that serve as attacks, with more consonant chords being more powerful (but dissonant chords also have their use if your Jazz attribute is high enough), 7th chords, typically bluesy, inflict status effects, and multiple consecutive chords in the same key constitute combos. But you also have to worry about the notes that the enemies use to construct their attacks, and how they fit into the musical phrase.

I tried to do this in a roguelike but it ended up being overly complex for my purposes and I scrapped it, but I still think it's a cool idea and will probably do it some day.

Or a combat system with a slot machine (This idea isn't mine, is from someone else's reply from another thread of mine)
Unlimited SaGa (a relatively unpopular SquareEnix RPG on the PS2) did this already. That doesn't mean you can't do it too, though.

T

Taddio

@Danei Bro, that would have been awesome, I would have beaten the **** out of that game, and maybe made some of my younger students who thought music was a waste of xbox time play it, to uncounciously brainwash them, hahahaha

E

ethian

How about a combat system where you use music theory to construct chords that serve as attacks, with more consonant chords being more powerful (but dissonant chords also have their use if your Jazz attribute is high enough), 7th chords, typically bluesy, inflict status effects, and multiple consecutive chords in the same key constitute combos. But you also have to worry about the notes that the enemies use to construct their attacks, and how they fit into the musical phrase.

I tried to do this in a roguelike but it ended up being overly complex for my purposes and I scrapped it, but I still think it's a cool idea and will probably do it some day.
It can be... i could make a similar fun combat system because i didn't understand things a bit... thanks for the idea anyways!
An idea came to me... next time use "????" Instead of "****"!

Also, after all, i made this thread because i was bored... but now... i'm with lots of fun!

For those who complain because of the tradicional RPG combat system saying that is boring to play
What I suggest you do, is look at the combat systems that you say are boring to play, and think to yourself "What could I add or take away from this system that would make it more fun for me?"

Then build that modified system into your game and test it out.

Can you give to those people, ideas of fun RPG combat systems?
We could give you ideas of what we think is fun, but it might not be your idea of fun.

The awesome thing about coming up with what you feel is fun, is that if you find it fun, there may be others that also find it fun. You might end up creating a totally new (or at least alternative) style of gameplay that has never been tried before, and sweep the world by storm. All from the power of your own imagination. Imagine how satisfying that would be!

Now, go forth and conquer!

N

nlolotte

Random ideas is just what comes to my mind, no matter if they're bad, the most fun part is to make them.

Ideas are :

A combat system where you need to shake your hands quickly as possible to test your luck...

A slot machine combat system was used In a Godzilla game on NES. That game sucks ass because the enemies were too overpowered. Good combat isn’t random and should only have a degree of luck, not completely rely on it.