• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Fullscreen startup issue on some PCs

P

pulsemeat

Hi, I have a game coming out in a week so I've been sending out builds for testing. Sometimes a person reports that the game is starting in some weird non-windowed, non-fullscreen mode and the only solution is to ALT-ENTER twice (which most people don't know how to do). It looks like this:

fullscreen issue.png

On my computer I've never seen this problem, so I'm wondering if it might have to do with multiple monitors, different resolutions, or maybe clicking out to other windows before the game is fully loaded. My windows settings in Game Maker look like this:

windows settings.png

I REALLY don't want the game to start in windowed mode, it totally screws up the impression of my title screen. Am I missing something in the settings? Is there some trick most released games are using? Like, should I manually fullscreen the game through code after a few frames, or when the window becomes active? Is my only guaranteed solution to have a prompt before the title screen?

P

pulsemeat

Looks like that works! I was able to reproduce the issue by starting the program and then immediately changing focus to another program. If you're just using the "Start Fullscreen" option then this results in the bugged state when you make your game the active window. If you wait a few frames and run the above fullscreen option it works even if you wait a while to switch focus to the game.

Thanks a ton, this probably would have gotten me a few negative reviews on launch day! Seems the issue with the Start Fullscreen option is something Yoyogames should really fix though...