Graphics Full top down or angled or rotate

W

weiner

Hi. Before I will continue with my game I want to ask what is the best option. Game is something like sci-fi Grand Theft Auto with "rich" story. It is cliche, but I must say to my self it is rich story.
Lots of people said that top down is boring and you can see only head and shoulders so for story game it is very bad. I do not want my game dead because it has boring top down graphic.
Angled top down is maybe the best option, but hard. I was thinking about moving to mouse position with "W" and changing sprite in 4 direction (right, left, top, down). And rotating hands with gun in direction. I think it is
compromise between easiest way and hardest way.
The last option would be rotate camera, but just in 4 direction. View would rotate in direction of facing. I should do video for this one option. It would be maybe interesting, but very confusing. Instead of four animations of player would be four sprites for house. But now I thinking that other characters can walk in other directions than player so it would be game breaker. But if everything done. It would be maybe amazing. Do you know some game with rotating view, but not 3D?
Isometric would be nice but impossible, I think. And it would take more time to do collisions etc. I have already basic for top down and angle view. And I must work on game design. I am bad in art so I do not know.
Big time saviour will be space, because in space will be ships in full top down.
Another think is that if I will do lots of programming then I will get easier some good graphic when it will be angled. Because who would like to work on top down game.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
You could do it 8-directional like Retro City Rampage so you don't need to adapt a 360-degree rotating gun to a bunch of sprites. As a bonus, the game will be easier to control with a gamepad as well since you don't have any loss of analog fidelity in the controls.

W

weiner

Yal: I do not like this type of movement very much and I want to shoot in every direction.
acidemic: It should work, but I will choose angled top down from start, so I can make concepts etc. And I want to be sure, that I can present game with decent graphic.
Edit: It is actually more like Side Scroll game, but in top down world.

Last edited by a moderator:

YanBG

Isometric is indeed difficult to do, especially for first game and pure top-down less interactive. Angled seems like a good compromise.

W

weiner

I did not want to start new thread. It is really just a fast prototype graphic, but every feedback would help me. Sprites are in vector so I can resize them. Do you think player should be bigger? But main reason why I am posting it are animations. I am working now on gameplay and story so other graphic is not properly done.

YanBG

Animations are good! However, you should add running, most people don't like slow pace.

Size is fine too, bigger characters would require more detailed graphics.