• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Full Screen Capture

C

crait

Is full screen capture is possible with GameMaker: Studio 1.4 ? I'm incredibly frustrated that no matter what settings I try and no matter what screen capture software I buy, I simply cannot capture fullscreen GameMaker: Studio 1.4 games. I'm trying to record my gameplay for a trailer, but depending on the software, I'll either end up with a blank black or white screen.

GMWolf

aka fel666
Don't buy screen capture software. Most ate exceedingly bad.

Use OBS instead.
It's free and open-source and works very well. Has a ton of recording and encoding options.
I use it all the time for My tutorials.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
If you are using windows 10, then try using the built in Xbox games software. Their capture stuff is actually pretty good and really easy to use. Just use WinKey + G to start it then click the record button.

C

crait

Don't buy screen capture software. Most ate exceedingly bad.

Use OBS instead.
It's free and open-source and works very well. Has a ton of recording and encoding options.
I use it all the time for My tutorials.
I have been trying to capture full screen, lossless video for my trailer with OBS. Either no video is actually recorded, or the AVI that's produced is 300Mb for 4 seconds of footage. I don't care if the image is 5Mb a second, but almost 100Mb?!? I simply cannot get enough footage for what I'm doing.

Any recommended settings you'd suggest for what I'd like to do?

If you are using windows 10, then try using the built in Xbox games software. Their capture stuff is actually pretty good and really easy to use. Just use WinKey + G to start it then click the record button.
For some reason, Microsoft has decided to purposely disable this feature for some computer hardware. Apparently, my NVidia GTX960 isn't powerful enough to run it, even though they have whitelisted worse graphics cards to use it!!!

GMWolf

aka fel666
Don't record lossless. That's just dumb and useless.

The capture source I usuly use is display capture. But for full screen games you have to use game capture.

Of the top of my head:
For encoding, I use NVENC encoder, with bitrate at 8000. If you have a a good coy with many strong cores, you could go with x264 cpu encoding.

I dont remember the other settings...
Just dont record lossless....

Oh, and record to MKV rather than AVI. You can the remux to mp4 with file->remux. (Remuxing OBS recording is surprisingly fast!)

Also make sure you are using OBS studio, and not the legacy version. It's better overall.

F

Falconsoft-Industries

Use a combination of OBS Studio and FLV Converter both free and safe I even tested them myself and my computer starts up twice as fast as before I had these programs installed.