• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Legacy GM Full Screen... Bug??

A

Aidan K-S

Hello All, today I need help with my game in game maker 1.4... The problem is when I set fullscreen in my game it gives me a blank black screen.

If you need a picture of the black screen i can add it just ask please. There is no code for me to add in all there is is me adding fullscreen through game infomation tab!! Thank You:).

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Did you enable views in the first room?

If you have the Windows Creators Update installed, a lot of apps have issues in fullscreen. Try starting your game, alt-tabbing to the desktop, lower your resolution, alt-tab back to your game, alt-tab back out again and change back to your previous resolution and the problem should be permanently solved. Don't ask me how that's supposed to work, I've just heard it does.

A

Aidan K-S

If you have the Windows Creators Update installed, a lot of apps have issues in fullscreen. Try starting your game, alt-tabbing to the desktop, lower your resolution, alt-tab back to your game, alt-tab back out again and change back to your previous resolution and the problem should be permanently solved. Don't ask me how that's supposed to work, I've just heard it does.
Yes thank you but will you have to do this when you export the game??

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Everyone that has the update and experiences those problems (not everyone does) will need to do that. You could always just include it in the readme files as a troubleshooting tip, and make sure to blame Windows for it :p

I think the issue can be solved by checking "Use synchronization to avoid tearing" in the Global Game Settings >> Windows >> Graphics tab. If you do that, I don't think it will be necessary for your users to do the resolution change thing.

A

Aidan K-S

Lol will do!

A

Aidan K-S

I think the issue can be solved by checking "Use synchronization to avoid tearing" in the Global Game Settings >> Windows >> Graphics tab. If you do that, I don't think it will be necessary for your users to do the resolution change thing.
Thank you sooooo much this actually worked!!! :):p

Kezarus

Endless Game Maker
Ooook, I have this issue too and switching to "Use synchronization to avoid tearing" is not an option. Is there a workaround?

Kezarus

Endless Game Maker
Yep, Windows is the culprit, no doubt about that.

Well, my brother manage to start the game on Win7 compatibility mode and it works like a charm.

It's a solution on the client side, but it's is still a solution.

I

icuurd12b42

this bug has been there for a about a year now. it affect nvidia cards. On my 970 and my 1070

turn on vsync in the game graphic options and it should fix the problem.

>Nope it has to do with windows, not game maker.
Well I think the problem is sortof shared. this happened right after a studio update

>Ooook, I have this issue too and switching to "Use synchronization to avoid tearing" is not an option. Is there a workaround?

No. How is it that turning it on not be an option?

Last edited by a moderator:

RangerX

No I mean, Win10 is having a build and a version. Its not like previous Windows where it was only updates. This changes the game in matter of debugging. As a computer technician I already seen apps behaving better on certain builds than other. This is the new reality of Windows now and I suspect this Vsync bug is happening only certain builds.
Per example right now, my Win10 (which doesn't have the problem) is:

Windows 10 Pro
Build: 1709
Version: 16299.192

I

icuurd12b42

it's windows 10, everyone on the darn same version with the auto updates, unless you have pro and were brave enough to disable them. so... same version here

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Ooook, I have this issue too and switching to "Use synchronization to avoid tearing" is not an option. Is there a workaround?
I'm pretty sure that ticking "Use alternative sync method" also fixes the issue (in 1.4 as with 2.x it uses that method by default, iirc)...

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
unless you have pro and were brave enough to disable them.
Isn't that more "and weren't stupid enough to NOT disable them"? x3 Setting your connections to metered stops Windows from downloading updates through them (supposedly), and you can disable the Windows Update task to make it never check for updates... and that gets the job done. If a connection isn't possible to set as metered through the GUI, you can do that with registry editing. I've had several friends gotten their PCs bricked by Win10 updates, and apparently the Meltdown fixes they pushed out recently happens to destroy the firmware of computers using certain CPUs... or something like that. I don't trust them to have their **** together, I'll use external programs to protect myself thanks. The only reason I'm not on Linux on every computer I own is because not all my Steam games are compatible with Wine yet.

I

icuurd12b42

With pro you can disable this stuff at many level... I have it set to only download and install when I agree to it... I'm still on the lookout for the useless security fix that everyone was freaking about weeks ago that Bricked those PC. that is not on the official Windows update yet. Only those that use that whatchamacallit preview version/beta channel I guess.

Man, that fix is utterly useless. Analogy is, if you happen to be in a bad neighborhood, there's a chance people might be able to carjack you if they open the door while you are in the middle of locking them...