• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Full List of GM 8 vs. GM Studio

G

GusCE6

I should have asked this in the first place...

Can anyone provide a full list of all requirements between Undertale Demo- made with GM 8- and Undertale Full, made with GM Studio? Comparing two such lists can prove helpful and enable me to get the Full version running.

I've managed to get Kiki the Nanobot, Pirates! 2K version, StarGunner (by Stars Ashes), as well as Running Sheep Aliens/Tiny Worlds, Plumeboom First Chapter/Golden Path, Deepica, Woodville Chronicles, and Ancient Wonderland running on that 2001 laptop, so it's possible to accomplish this once I know what to look for. Heck, I figured out how to stream MP4 360p online videos with it, and it's an XP system!

Of course, if one could download an HTML5 version of the game and one can save a game in progress then problem solved...

Thanks!

rIKmAN

Heck, I figured out how to stream MP4 360p online videos with it, and it's an XP system!
I don't understand what you mean by "figured out" or how that's meant to be impressive?
XP can easily stream online videos, and in higher resolutions than 360p.

I think the problem is the hardware you are using, not the OS.
Are you the same guy from an older thread trying to run Undertale on a potato?

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
Honestly at this point you might be better off trying to boot an Ubuntu live CD on that laptop and running the Linux version of the game.

An HTML5 version of the game would probably run (assuming that the device can run a current version of Chrome or Firefox and that the game is compatible with web export) but I'm not here to judge your chances of convincing the developer of a paid title to make you a web build of the game.

G

GusCE6

I don't understand what you mean by "figured out" or how that's meant to be impressive?
XP can easily stream online videos, and in higher resolutions than 360p.

I think the problem is the hardware you are using, not the OS.
Are you the same guy from an older thread trying to run Undertale on a potato?

Yes, it's me.

An old XP laptop running at 800MHz does not have the ability to effectively stream even 144p WEBM videos on Youtube for starters, it keeps stalling- and you cannot normally stream MP4 (Quicktime, which is or was proprietary) videos via a browser at all on an XP system since that depends on the OS; Windows XP does not have that ability. This is why running the same exact browser on Windows 8 will do so but not on XP. In such cases it tries to stream the less effective WEBM if available, otherwise you get an error message. So yes, getting that antique to nicely stream MP4 360p videos was remarkable, especially since the technique can be applied to more recent computers, for example enabling an ASUS laptop from 2012 to stream even 720p (and possibly 1080p) videos- something even it normally cannot do.

The idea is to see what old hardware is actually capable of doing. An old Sony 2001 XP laptop streaming MP4 360p videos in 2018?

Point is, you could be right about the hardware. But that's what they said about other things. The idea here is to get two lists of requirements for the Demo and Full versions, compare them side by side, and go from there. If the Demo version didn't work I wouldn't even be here. If ultimately it turns out that you are right then the only answer is to try and get the HTML5 package and run it off a browser or possibly try the Ubuntu option (see below). I now have a debugger program but am still learning what it's trying to say.

There is one possibility nobody here mentioned: yes DirectX 9 is INSTALLED but it's possible the video HARDWARE can only use it up to DirectX 8. This would explain why Pirates! only runs through 3-D Analyze. But if Pirates!, which requires DirectX 9 to run, does then obviously that base is covered. It also has the ability to fool games into thinking numerous graphics cards are installed if you have the codes and convert them from hexadecimal- which I have. Nothing.

But those lists would be useful indeed.

Note: I installed Runtime 2005, 2008, and 2010 myself so I know they are in there. Is 2012 a requirement?

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GusCE6

Well, Studio doesn't really support XP anymore.
The website shows Vista as being the earliest system supported now.
https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/216753748-SDK-Version-Support

The only requirements I know of is at least a 512 MBs of ram and DX9.

XP is acceptable for the game according to its own specs. I suspect something is missing from the OS since this was a serious problem with Microsoft products back then. Once I understand what the debugger is saying that should be a help.

The question is why does the Demo run but not the Full? Pity Toby Fox didn't use GameMaker 8 for both.

G

GusCE6

Honestly at this point you might be better off trying to boot an Ubuntu live CD on that laptop and running the Linux version of the game.

An HTML5 version of the game would probably run (assuming that the device can run a current version of Chrome or Firefox and that the game is compatible with web export) but I'm not here to judge your chances of convincing the developer of a paid title to make you a web build of the game.

Interesting idea, Ubuntu- I've been trying to get that. A computer technician I knew had it on a USB stick; a pity I lost my own copy. If it runs on the Sony your idea is likely the best way to go.

Believe it or not I also contacted (e-mail) Toby Fox asking about HTML5 versions. The funny thing is that anyone can find the game for free on the Internet, including "portable" versions. So it's not as if people can't already get the game for free. I have such a portable version but originally received the game off Steam as a gift; the portable version is for what I am trying to do here (research for old hardware).

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
Interesting idea, Ubuntu- I've been trying to get that. A computer technician I knew had it on a USB stick; a pity I lost my own copy. If it runs on the Sony your idea is likely the best way to go.
Ubuntu is free to download from it's official website, so you can make an installation CD and put it on the laptop or use instructions to make a USB stick that it can be booted from.
The funny thing is that anyone can find the game for free on the Internet, including "portable" versions. So it's not as if people can't already get the game for free.
It is a slightly different scale of trouble to just have the game pirate-able and someone being able to throw it on a site with a side of a couple giant ad banners.