• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

HTML5 Fridge Runner

S

Sam (Deleted User)

PLAY NOW (Currently for Desktop and Android Web Browsers Only)

The world's greatest prank phone call joke is now an exciting auto-runner web game from Budgess Man. The story behind this athletic appliance's mysterious quest will be unveiled in time, but for now, enjoy the game and let us know your high score!

Fridge Runner is very much still in progress, and we would love to hear from you! If you run into any issues playing the game, or have an idea you think would make it more awesome, shoot us a message in the form below. We are already working on updates for the next version, so let us know soon!

Credits
  • Concepts, story, artwork, animation: Justin Garcia
  • Programming, enemy behaviors: Samuel Venable
  • Music: HYPERLAMB

Last edited by a moderator:
Snake needs to be shorter at least when starting out. Its simple. I like it. You're on the correct path. A low flying bat is tough to gauge if I should slide or jump. Perhaps make low bats purple? Just throwing out some ideas.

From here I'd like to see at least a temporary high score kept. I know my score is 11, but will I still remember that?

Last edited:
E

Emissary1138

Nice... i got 15 on my first try and 25 on my second. I love the artwork on this game. I'm going to keep trying until i get 50

S

Sam (Deleted User)

As far as I know we are planning on adding a local high score system. We were in a rush to get it out because we had a release date announced, but fortunately we got the base of what we considered a good game done by the deadline. I'll ask Justin about your suggestions @sitebender.

Thanks everyone!

Edit:

Alright, he likes your ideas. We are looking at making these changes among others, and hopefully mobile web compatibility within the next release. :)

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Game is back up. Sorry for the delay in fixing the broken iframe. I've applied some of the aforementioned suggestions, but not all.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Now the Fridge runs in Android Web Browsers! Touch the top half of the game screen to jump, or the bottom half of the game screen to slide.

We are hoping to get it working in iOS Web Browsers, but unfortunately this may mean us switching to a different game engine. It really appears to be a problem with GameMaker.

S

smashingparadox

I like the game. Good job overall. But here is some critical feedback, two things:

1. To start a new game you press the spacebar. The "press spacebar" message blinks a few times and then the new game starts. This delay between pressing the spacebar and the game actually starting, made me feel like the message wasn't received, so I spammed the spacebar and yelled "WTF?!" at my computer screen. Therefore, it is my opinion that you should start the new game immediately after pressing spacebar, OR give better, more clear, feedback that the spacebar was pressed and the new game is about to begin.
(Same problem with the "click to start" it seems).

2. This problem is hard to describe, and it might just be my computer (probably not, but maybe). The way the graphics move across the screen has a blurriness to it, that's easy enough to ignore, but feels disconcerting to the eyeball. Like, maybe the frame rate needs to be higher? Maybe you need to add a semi-transparent tracer sprite to smooth out the graphics? I don't know. It just looks choppy and blurry. I am especially talking about the object you jump over, not so much the background or the fridge.

Anyway, I hope my feedback was helpful. The website looks nice. Cheers.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

@smashingparadox

Thanks for the detailed critiques! It's highly appreciated. I don't know what we'll do in specific about your second bullet point, but we'll try to figure something out as I agree that was one of the first, and perhaps one of the only, visual disappointments I had about the game was the blur and choppiness. That is a crucial thing to fix.

I wanted to address your second bullet point first as a mental note of emphasis because your first critique will be much easier to change. I'll talk with Justin and see what he would like done in place of the faster blinking text. This may be a change of text, brief animation or transition, or a sudden screen change like it sounds you would prefer. We'll have if nothing else at least that done in the next release, perhaps more.

@K12gamer

Thank You! Justin will be thrilled to hear his project has been compared with a game as popular as the one you mentioned. Cheers!