Portfolio - Programming [FREE] Intermediate-Level Programmer Looking to Collaborate

Discussion in 'Collaboration' started by spe, Sep 17, 2018.

1. spe

spe Member

Hi, everyone. I'm an intermediate-level GML programmer hoping to get in on a group project.

I got my start with programming in the early days of GameMaker 7, though I hadn't taken it very seriously until a couple years ago when I jumped back in with GameMaker: Studio. I don't claim to be an expert, and there are still some things I can't do. I know my way around the basics, and I should be able to handle most standard tasks.

I want to try working in a group, as I've been working solo throughout the entirety of my GML career. I have several half-finished games, but nothing complete. I believe working with a group will provide the motivation I need to see a project through to completion.

There are, however, some prerequisites to my joining:

- If I'm not particularly interested in your project, I won't likely participate. My taste in games is quite broad, but there are still some games I'm just not going to be invested in.
    - If the game is being sold or monetized, I'd expect a share of the profits... though I'll still work on a not-for-profit project if I'm interested in the game itself.
    - Patience. I do have a job and a life, and I can't necessarily work on the project every day.
    - This is a learning experience for me, too. I've never programmed with a group before. I'm competent, but don't expect flawless code. Whatever I create will probably still need to be optimized by someone more experienced, assuming the game's performance is important.
    - I'm currently working with GM:S 1.4. If I really love your project and team, I'd consider getting GM:S 2. Otherwise, I prefer to stay within GM:S 1.4 for now.
    - Maturity. I'm an adult, and I'd prefer to work mostly with other adults or other reasonably mature people.
    - I'm not interested in 'hey can you make me a _____' requests. I want to work as part of a team in a creative sense, not just building things for people who can't code. Sorry.

There are also a few things that I don't have any experience in. While I'm open to try anything, don't expect me to be able to contribute anything of value in these areas:

Shaders
    Networking
    3-D Functions

With that being said, I do have some talents that may be of use:

- Exceptional linguistic ability. I have an eye for typos and grammatical mistakes, and I know how to make dialogue flow. I took English and Creative Writing classes for two years in college.
    - Strong understanding of game design in general, and what it takes to make a game enjoyable.
    - Talent for storytelling.
    - Basic/placeholder graphics and audio abilities. I can do a little bit with Photoshop, though I think I'm only any good at creating graphics for menus and title screens and such.
    - Video editing. For what it's worth, I'm very experienced with video editing software such as Adobe After Effects and Sony Vegas.

Here's a rundown of what I've accomplished in my major (unfinished) projects:

Top-down shooter
    - Weapon switching, ammo count, different fire modes
    - Basic enemy AI with line-of-sight tracking and wander mode when out of range
    - Hitscans
    - Explosions and knockback effects (without physics system)
    - Destructible or indestructible walls that block explosions, bullets, line-of-sight
    - Sprinting, dashing, melee, all using stamina system
    - Automatic enemy leveling system, including enemies merging together to create super-enemies

Turn-based card strategy game
    - Functional battle system with player and enemy decks, hands, and win conditions
    - Agility stat-based combat system with simultaneous attack scenario for matching agility stats
    - Elemental strengths and weaknesses, chance for critical hits and blocked attacks
    - Lasting status effects like Poison and Armor
    (I didn't draw those card graphics, just stole them from Google Images lol)

Survival strategy game (very incomplete)
    - Randomly generated maps
    - Functional day/night, weather system
    - Random encounter, scavenging system
    (I DID create all the graphics for this one by myself)

Top-down racing game
    - Acceleration, deceleration, reverse, brakes
    - Smooth camera tracking, turning/tilting, zoom in/out effect based on driving speed
    - AI driver accurately following waypoints

video of the AI driver:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qc7Fa8DPAc

Top-down, open world, turn based RPG
    - Advanced (incomplete) battle system with multiple combatants, agility stat-based turn system, target selection and multiple selection
    - Flexible, easily expandable room-based open world system
    - Random enemy encounters, with different chances for different enemies based on the current room

Contact me via PM or a message on this thread, and I'll be happy to answer any inquiries regarding this post!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  2. Fwolf12

Fwolf12 Member

Hey,
    I am looking for a programmer for a current project. It's being developed on studio 2, I can give you a weekly salary, if you wanna know more, then pm me on the site or on discord if you have it:

discord:iMPERIALSTORMTROOPER#1842

3. spe

spe Member

Sent you a PM

4. spe

spe Member

Shameless bump. Still available for any projects. :)

5. spe

spe Member

Bump; still available!

6. LilacChips

LilacChips Member

I'm in need of a few coders myself as well. I do have a post about it here, so if you find yourself interested, PM me on Discord @Lilac#1508. If needed, we can also discuss further details.

7. Andri Meister

Andri Meister Member

Hey, contact me, I have a big project in progress

8. ssscybro2

ssscybro2 Member

Hi there love your work Im looking to start a game dev. team/Company and i would love for u to be a part of it.
    I am a graphic artist by trade and i have a lot of game ideas but i don't have the adequate programing knowledge to undertake them.
    if u would like to hear about my ideas let me know.