• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Free computer space used up on runtime

aereddia

I'm encountering this odd issue with gamemaker that I haven't encountered before. Every time I run my game, my computer's free space goes down by about 50 megabytes. Not a huge deal, but obviously something I want to fix. I've looked through the code for all the data structures and surfaces I'm creating and they're all accounted for, but something is still causing this issue. The strange thing is, when I start the game with an empty room that runs game_end() after starting, the problem still happens. Even before a single line of code is run, I've already lost 50 mb to something. I've run other test projects since and it only happens with my game, and restarting the computer frees up any memory loss.

At this point, I really have no clue what could be causing it, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, I'm not sure if this really counts as a memory leak, but I'm not sure what else I would call it. I don't lose memory when I am playing the game, just when it launches.

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
That's about the right amount to just be how much memory a GM application takes to run.
Mine usually takes about 50 megs at boot.
If it's not growing continually as the app runs, then I doubt it's a memory leak.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
You've used two different terms here... "free space" and "memory". The former sounds like storage space on a hard drive to me, the other one sounds like RAM.

Which one are you talking about?

aereddia

You've used two different terms here... "free space" and "memory". The former sounds like storage space on a hard drive to me, the other one sounds like RAM.

Which one are you talking about?
I guess this is a "free space leak"? My storage space is the one that is disappearing here, not the RAM. I'll update the title since it doesn't seem like a good fit anymore.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
That might just be the cache. Every time you compile, the compiled game files have to be saved to disk so that they can be ran. Said cache is cleared when you close the IDE - so also when you restart your PC.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
If you want your space back after you're done, go to File > Preferences > General Settings > Paths and check these 3 boxes:
  • Automatically delete temp directory on close
  • Automatically delete asset cache directory on close
  • Automatically delete ide cache directory on close

aereddia

@TsukaYuriko It looks like it was the cache since I did in fact get my space back when I closed the IDE. Thanks!

@FrostyCat I was looking through my preferences, but I couldn't find the paths section anywhere. It looks like it is clearing the cache automatically though, so I assume those boxes are already checked.