• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows FPS is consistently low if set not to 60

SUDALV

There is a bug since Windows 10 version 2004 update.
Just try to create a new project, set fps to 75 (for example) and start the project. It will be 64. In the same time real_fps is 10000+ for me.
There is nothing to say more, really. Please, fix this critical bug.

SUDALV

It could be related to v-sync, have you tried turning it on/off and seeing if it affects the FPS?
yes, this is not related to vsync.
vsync is disabled.
I got 60 fps with enabled vsync.
Also i forgot to say, changing sleep margin is kinda helping but CPU load is increasing. So i believe this is a bug.
p.s. GMS1 has the same problem but GMS1 is abandoned so i understand why it is not fixed in GMS1.

O.Stogden

I would make sure your graphics drivers are up to date as well, Windows 2004 changed some stuff which might mean out of date drivers have issues. Specifically Nvidia.

There was also a patch to fix refresh rate issues on Intel GPU's, that Microsoft released on the 30th of July, so make sure your Windows has all the latest patches too.

I can't test out any further, as Microsoft don't allow every PC to download 2004 yet, as it's still being tested, so I don't have access to it.

Sedgwick2K

No, other people has same issue. Just try to reproduce it. It is very simple to reproduce (in case you have Windows 10 2004)
I have 1509 or something as I remember correct. And if a such bug happens I rather not update it to 2004 then.

O.Stogden

I have 1509 or something as I remember correct. And if a such bug happens I rather not update it to 2004 then.
1909 is the current latest build available for most people, likely you're on that, same as me.

2004 is only if you request an update I believe, most people probably don't have it, as it's still buggy. Microsoft don't even allow me to upgrade to it even if I request right now, as they're only letting specific hardware configurations update so they can get them working well, before moving onto more PC's.

SUDALV

I have latest version of Nvidia drivers.
Also 2004 Update is not preview, this is strange, many people received it.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
There is nothing to say more, really. Please, fix this critical bug.
If you think you have found a bug, stating it on the forums is no use at all as this is a community run forum and YYG don't take bug reports from here. You would need to report it through the official channels.

SUDALV

Okay for some reason i thought that the Tech Support forum intended for this. Bug report is sended.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Okay for some reason i thought that the Tech Support forum intended for this. Bug report is sended.
Tech support is for getting help from the community with the software, not for reporting bugs. If you had come trying to simply see if others were having the same issue(trying to confirm if it is actually a bug, or just user error), then that wouldn't have been an issue. But just stating that something is a bug and asking for it to be fixed...that doesn't really belong here.

Roldy

Most likely it is not a bug (at least not in GMS) and just a driver issue. There have been many complaints about 2004 and fps issues across many games.

Just try to reproduce it. It is very simple to reproduce (in case you have Windows 10 2004)
I had not upgraded to 2004 yet, so I just did and I can confirm my fps for GM apps was stuck at 64 fps.

So then I updated my nvidia driver (to 451.67) and the fps returned to normal. All fixed. This is likely due to the 2004 support for GPU scheduling. The newer nvidia drivers specifically patch for that.

Update or remove/reinstall the correct video drivers.

Last edited:

SUDALV

20 days passed, my bug report was ignored and the bug is still here.
GMS2 was updated to v2.3 and now everything even worse. Now even Sleep Margin is doesn't help.
Nvidia already released an update for drivers (current version is 452.06), but it changed nothing.
So basically i can't use GMS2 now.

V

Vrok

I have the same issue as well after I update my Windows 10 to version 2004, and it's on GMS1.4 as well.

1599644097685.png

Room speed set to 60 but frame rate is less than 50FPS when using the Intel GPU. Only when forcing the game to use the Nvidia GPU that the game runs at 60FPS. Well, when on battery power only (I use a laptop), because the game uses the Intel GPU while charging even when the game is set to use the Nvidia GPU.

I suspect it has got to do with the newest Windows 10 version. My Nvidia GPU (GTX1050) driver version is also 451.67, and Intel GPU (HD Graphics 630) driver version is 22.20.16.4836.

SUDALV

I have the same issue as well after I update my Windows 10 to version 2004, and it's on GMS1.4 as well.

View attachment 34233

Room speed set to 60 but frame rate is less than 50FPS when using the Intel GPU. Only when forcing the game to use the Nvidia GPU that the game runs at 60FPS. Well, when on battery power only (I use a laptop), because the game uses the Intel GPU while charging even when the game is set to use the Nvidia GPU.

I suspect it has got to do with the newest Windows 10 version. My Nvidia GPU (GTX1050) driver version is also 451.67, and Intel GPU (HD Graphics 630) driver version is 22.20.16.4836.
Also turning off some apps like Steam helps. It seems like YoYoGames doesn't want even recognize it as bug...
As I understand it, it is related to the thread scheduler. Each application sets its own value, and GMS Runner does not override it or something like that.

Murzy

There is another topic which deals with issues very much like this.

Our team encountered similar issues after the Windows 2004 update as well. We managed to resolve this by adjusting the "Sleep margin" setting of the game to a larger number. For 60 fps game, try a value of 40ms, see and try if that helps.

Fanatrick

Issue raised and forgotten, this has been plaguing GM games earlier than 2018. One of the games I worked on had a terrible launch experience due to it making people return it and bombard it with low ratings... https://steamcommunity.com/app/356650/discussions/0/1743343017633405081/
1601501077606.png
1601501340220.png
Not really "raised and forgotten" since 2018 if the bug report leading to this was submitted (by me) this year and the last update was barely two weeks ago. I'm just as frustrated with this bug as you are. I have several GM games I've bought on Steam that I can't play properly because they run at 50FPS instead of the 60 they should. I've been checking the bug report weekly. That said, they are actively working on fixing it. There's no need for misinformed hyperbolics.

Fanatrick

View attachment 34651
View attachment 34652
Not really "raised and forgotten" since 2018 if the bug report leading to this was submitted (by me) this year and the last update was barely two weeks ago. I'm just as frustrated with this bug as you are. I have several GM games I've bought on Steam that I can't play properly because they run at 50FPS instead of the 60 they should. I've been checking the bug report weekly. That said, they are actively working on fixing it. There's no need for misinformed hyperbolics.
lmao

You should search around the BT yourself and maybe take your own advice before ironically being the misinformed one yourself. This isn't some issue only raised recently, hell I've given you a link from 2018 so you can stay lazy but I guess that wasn't enough. Efforts have been made to fix the issue during 2018 but apparently it never was completely fixed (hence was forgotten and here we are), before that the response was "cannot fully reproduce due to varying hardware, will keep an eye on lul". We were in the process of reporting the bug ourselves before we were pointed to the existing report and asked to be patient. I'm sure it's easy for a hobbyist to call this hyperbolic but I assure you it's a much scarier endeavor in face of a commercial release.

Untitled-2.jpg
https://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=29146

But yeah, f*ck me for being critical :)

EDIT: Formatting.

Last edited:
lmao

You should search around the BT yourself and maybe take your own advice before ironically being the misinformed one yourself. This isn't some issue only raised recently, hell I've given you a link from 2018 so you can stay lazy but I guess that wasn't enough. Efforts have been made to fix the issue during 2018 but apparently it never was completely fixed (hence was forgotten and here we are), before that the response was "cannot fully reproduce due to varying hardware, will keep an eye on lul". We were in the process of reporting the bug ourselves before we were pointed to the existing report and asked to be patient. I'm sure it's easy for a hobbyist to call this hyperbolic but I assure you it's a much scarier endeavor in face of a commercial release.

View attachment 34656
https://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=29146

But yeah, f*ck me for being critical :)

EDIT: Formatting.
I wasn't calling you out for being critical. That's perfectly reasonable and frankly, warranted. It's unacceptable that this has been going on for so long across several versions of GM and YYG needs to get off their butts and fix this issue.

I was calling you out for spreading misinformation. You said it's been forgotten; that they're not currently working on it. They are, even if they're not treating it as an issue as serious as it is. The most recent bug in the tracker for this issue is not the one you posted, but this one. In fact, the most recent update was added to reference that original bug report you listed. They're obviously receiving enough bug reports for this specific issue to reopen it.

I don't know why you're trying to appeal to me with all those links. I already know it's a major issue that's been going on for years, because I've dealt with it for years. None of those matter unless those people also submitted bug reports:
If you think you have found a bug, stating it on the forums is no use at all as this is a community run forum and YYG don't take bug reports from here. You would need to report it through the official channels.
If you have this issue, submit a bug report. Nothing else will help, least of all preaching to the choir.

Last edited:

Fanatrick

nacho_chicken said:
I was calling you out for spreading misinformation. You said it's been forgotten; that they're not currently working on it. They are, even if they're not treating it as an issue as serious as it is. The most recent bug in the tracker for this issue is not the one you posted, but this one. In fact, the most recent update was added to reference that original bug report you listed. They're obviously receiving enough bug reports for this specific issue to reopen it.
This is simply laughable considering it's me who pointed out these issues are persisting for over 2 years now and you on the contrary keep saying it's continuously been worked on basing it on your personal report in late 2020 and fully ignoring the 2 and a half year gap in-between...

If the issue is filed as "closed" for years and is only re-opened after countless reports have been made - what the heck do you want to call it other than forgotten up until this point? You tell me, for how many years should an issue persist until we can safely say it's been forgotten and swept under the rug without being called hyperbolic liars by hobbyists? Yeah, let's hope we don't see a similar report about refresh-rate issues in 2024 and there's not another nacho_chicken calling others misinformed.

It's unacceptable that this has been going on for so long across several versions of GM and YYG needs to get off their butts and fix this issue.
So which is it?...

I know it's a major issue that's been going on for years, because I've dealt with it for years. None of those matter unless those people also submitted bug reports:
Color me skeptical. Reports exist and were filed to appropriate channels.

If you have this issue, submit a bug report. Nothing else will help, least of all preaching to the choir.
Rest assured we tried, as I already mentioned we were quickly told to refer to the already existing reports - as we should and gladly did.

you on the contrary keep saying it's continuously been worked on basing it on your personal report in late 2020 and fully ignoring the 2 and a half year gap in-between...
Please do not put words in my mouth. All I said was that it's being worked on now. BTW, that isn't just "my personal report". I apologize if I made it seem that way earlier. More than half the stuff in there isn't even from me. It's multiple peoples' reports, merged into one issue on the tracker. There's nothing else I can add to this conversation that I haven't already said.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
There's no reason to fight each other - you're all in the same boat here, hoping for a proper solution to a problem that's been around for a while now. Arguing over whether the issue is being acknowledged sufficiently or who's right or wrong about it is not going to get us anywhere. I won't be deleting the above posts as they contain useful information relevant to the topic, but please let's all calm down a notch. :)

Had FPS issues just like this...fortunately tweaking the sleep margin as suggested fixed my frame rate problems and screen flickering. The most frustrating "bug-like" aspect to me was in trying to figure out the issue. GMS reported room speed as running at 60 FPS, and real FPS as over 1000+... At the very least, I'd hope the game could report back the true lower framerate/speed the game is running at somehow, instead of telling me everything is fine while the screen flickers and every object moves and animates like it's underwater...

SUDALV

The problem is that even if you set Sleep Margin, FPS will not be completely stable, let's say instead of 60 FPS will be 59-60 and for my project it's critical, because I have music synchronization tied to the frame counter.

As for those bug reports, I really didn't see them, because I only watched the new ones and I didn't see the ones I sent them. And yet, that bug report says about refresh rate of the monitor, but my problem seems to have nothing to do with it.

They said that the bug was fixed in the latest Beta version, but its still here for me.

Last edited: