• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Android FPS Drop ! [SOLVED]

K

Kasra

Hi there, this is an overview of my game:
Screenshot_20190324-122314.png
my phone is Galaxy J5 500H, but still 40 FPS is rare too laggy!!!
i always write codes clean, iam sure there is no any leak of performance.
is any ways to increase FPS in global game setting or anywhere else please share your experiance.

i have some guess:
1.my phone sucks
2.my game setting sucks

Attachments

I'm a relative noob (5 or so years of GMS) and not a great programmer, so this advice isn't 100% guaranteed to be correct.......

Your code can be "clean" and not have memory leaks etc, but that isn't the same as efficient.

Your phone may have a certain computational capability, though that level of performance is not necessarily what gamemaker is capable of producing due to how it treats the hardware. Your phone may be able to run some fully 3d games that are fairly complex, and then you wonder why it struggles to run some basic 2d.

It is probable that within your code you are calling events more often than is necessary (collision checks, draw calls, other game events etc) and that is why you have FPS drops, or a low FPS. Optimization of your game is not really anything to do with game settings (they do have some influence, but not all), and is more to do with better coding / use of events.

Posting your code, and also saying how you are using it, would give the community more information to be able to help you. As this is not likely to be a simple thing to solve.

AZAMATIKA

1. Surface using decreases FPS
2. If you not use delta_time, some action would be slower (as i remember, smartphones lockes the GMS fps to 50), but if you use the delta_time everywhere the game can run smooth as like it's 60 FPS.

Try to edit your code movements and other stuff with delta_time using. It helps me and can help you. Cheers :U

K

Kasra

I'm a relative noob (5 or so years of GMS) and not a great programmer, so this advice isn't 100% guaranteed to be correct.......

Your code can be "clean" and not have memory leaks etc, but that isn't the same as efficient.

Your phone may have a certain computational capability, though that level of performance is not necessarily what gamemaker is capable of producing due to how it treats the hardware. Your phone may be able to run some fully 3d games that are fairly complex, and then you wonder why it struggles to run some basic 2d.

It is probable that within your code you are calling events more often than is necessary (collision checks, draw calls, other game events etc) and that is why you have FPS drops, or a low FPS. Optimization of your game is not really anything to do with game settings (they do have some influence, but not all), and is more to do with better coding / use of events.

Posting your code, and also saying how you are using it, would give the community more information to be able to help you. As this is not likely to be a simple thing to solve.
iam also new member of game dev society :), thank for your feed back, but game will back to 60 FPS only by decreasing application surface size, as you say i need to optimize some events and change my text render system, my fonts in game will remake with new size as a view changed, looks using courier is best option. as it not lose quality when it scales

K

Kasra

1. Surface using decreases FPS
2. If you not use delta_time, some action would be slower (as i remember, smartphones lockes the GMS fps to 50), but if you use the delta_time everywhere the game can run smooth as like it's 60 FPS.

Try to edit your code movements and other stuff with delta_time using. It helps me and can help you. Cheers :U
i use delta time for smoth view change and effects, but user still feels between 50 and 60 fps