• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker fps drop only with tiles layer?

M

milch

I noticed frame drops to about 50 fps and started to investigate... the profiler showed me "finish_frame" takes up 97% of the step, whatever that means... does it have to do with the drawn sprites?

anyway, I started deleting instances to see what was causing it and in the end I had everything deleted except for an object with create event "room_speed = 60"

upload_2017-12-17_0-0-7.png

whenever I have a tile layer on and tiles inside of my view, the fps drops to about 50, whenever they're outside its solid 60
I have no idea why a simple tile layer would cause the frame rate to drop this much o__o anybody got an idea what's causing this?

room size is 500 x 500
physics enabled, gravity both 0, pixels to meters 0.1

thanks so much for any help on this!

M

milch

edit: this seems to be a problem with gamemaker, since i have 60 fps with all my instances turned on when i compile the game...

S

Silver_Mantis

edit: this seems to be a problem with gamemaker, since i have 60 fps with all my instances turned on when i compile the game...
This may be a bit unrelated, but I noticed an FPS drop or stuttering, when I play the game, minimize it for longer than a minute, and then bring it back up again. But this only happens when I'm in the editor. If I create and EXE of the game, this issue never happens. I think it's safe to say you may see performance issues because of how new GM2 is, and the best most definitive way to check, is to export to an EXE and play from there.

Last edited by a moderator: