Asset - Project 🦊 Foxey Platform Engine (Complete 2D Platformer Project) ⭕ v1.3.1

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
It's really great engine, I wonder if you could add room with map of levels(unlockable ones) and possibility of saving and loading game with pause menu?
Yes I can. I will add it to the to-do list.
The engine already has a save and load system, you can use the scripts.
The pause menu is something that I will improve too.

Thank you! Cheers.

JanDragon

Hey,

I bought this product through Marketplace a short time ago. To test it, I wanted to import it into an empty project and start it. Unfortunately I get the following error at the beginning:

See Attached Picture

When I comment out the music part the game starts but then hangs on the loading screen. What is the best way to fix this error? I am using GM2 v2.3.5.458 and the latest version of the project.

With kind regards
JanDragon

Attachments

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
Hey,

I bought this product through Marketplace a short time ago. To test it, I wanted to import it into an empty project and start it. Unfortunately I get the following error at the beginning:

See Attached Picture

When I comment out the music part the game starts but then hangs on the loading screen. What is the best way to fix this error? I am using GM2 v2.3.5.458 and the latest version of the project.

With kind regards
JanDragon
Hello!

This is a simple problem, the audio groups were not loaded when importing the project.
It has happened to many people due to a problem with GMS 2, but it can be solved with a few steps:

1 - Create the audio groups manually through the GMS2 IDE with the names AG_Music and AG_SFX, like this:

2 - After creating the audio groups, you must place the songs in the AG_Music audio group and the sound effects in AG_SFX. Note that both are in separate folders, so it's easy to distinguish.

3 - For all audios on AG_Music:

4 - For all audios on AG_SFX:

That's it. 🙂
Cheers!

Last edited:

Julitro82

Hi Foxy, I'm here again trying to develop something with your great engine. However I'm having a couple issues:

- Some time before I solved the problem with the audiogroups. But now, when I try to do it, it doesn't let me to change the AG name. I can write the new one, but is inmediately changed to the default "audiogroup1". It's a really weird trouble I never had before.

- I'm also having some trouble with the camera. Don't know where resides my problem, but everytime I try to change anything or create a new room, camera ceases to focus, to show instead a really far view of the complete level. I tried to activate viewports, but doesn't work well, and glitches someway the water shader.

Thanks for your great work!

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
Hello, @Julitro82 !

- Some time before I solved the problem with the audiogroups. But now, when I try to do it, it doesn't let me to change the AG name. I can write the new one, but is inmediately changed to the default "audiogroup1". It's a really weird trouble I never had before.
You need to check that there is no other name like it, GMS 2 does not allow this to happen. If the error still persists, you should report a bug to YYG as it's not something I can fix.

- I'm also having some trouble with the camera. Don't know where resides my problem, but everytime I try to change anything or create a new room, camera ceases to focus, to show instead a really far view of the complete level. I tried to activate viewports, but doesn't work well, and glitches someway the water shader.
I saw another user saying this and I had fixed it, are you using the latest version? This has been fixed in this release.

Thanks!

Hello, @Julitro82 !

You need to check that there is no other name like it, GMS 2 does not allow this to happen. If the error still persists, you should report a bug to YYG as it's not something I can fix.

I saw another user saying this and I had fixed it, are you using the latest version? This has been fixed in this release.

Thanks!

Here is the issue I'm getting as well. The entire level is being shown, the camera is not working.

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
I deleted all the old versions of the Marketplace, maybe now it will solve this problem for anyone downloading/buying in the future.

Zhanghua

It will only be available in the next update, due to a technical problem. If you want, I can explain in private.

Thanks for understanding, best regards! :)
My IDE is the latest beta 23.1.1.451
I import the yymp in to the new blank project.
And It seems the Audio group imported failed?

GML:
of Create Event
for object obj_game_init:

Variable obj_game_init.AG_Music(100034, -2147483648) not set before reading it.
at gml_Object_obj_game_init_Create_0 (line 42) - audio_group_load(AG_Music);
############################################################################################
gml_Object_obj_game_init_Create_0 (line 42)

Fixed this by creating AG by hand now,
Great Job

And Is this platform support characteristics with utf-8 such as chinese?
Cause the gml draw_text_ext can't change line normally on chinese.

Last edited:

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
My IDE is the latest beta 23.1.1.451
I import the yymp in to the new blank project.
And It seems the Audio group imported failed?

GML:
of Create Event
for object obj_game_init:

Variable obj_game_init.AG_Music(100034, -2147483648) not set before reading it.
at gml_Object_obj_game_init_Create_0 (line 42) - audio_group_load(AG_Music);
############################################################################################
gml_Object_obj_game_init_Create_0 (line 42)

Fixed this by creating AG by hand now,
Great Job

And Is this platform support characteristics with utf-8 such as chinese?
Cause the gml draw_text_ext can't change line normally on chinese.
Yes, this is a common problem with audio groups, because for some reason GMS2 doesn't automatically import them. It can be solved by creating them manually.

To use a CJK font, you need to have that font in-game. I'm not sure if importing works normally, but you can use font_add() for this.

Best regards.

uchetto

Hi!

This is the latest version currently available:

Try downloading this version through this site, you need to login first.
This version works on the latest version of Game Maker Studio 2 as well.

Best regards.
Hello,
excuse me, but i can't download the version 1.3.2. This url https://accounts.yoyogames.com/purchases let only download the 1592284632_com.kazangames.foxeyplatform.yymp file that seems to be the version 1.0.
Can you help me please?

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
Hello,
excuse me, but i can't download the version 1.3.2. This url https://accounts.yoyogames.com/purchases let only download the 1592284632_com.kazangames.foxeyplatform.yymp file that seems to be the version 1.0.
Can you help me please?
Hello!

Don't worry, send me a message with purchase information and I'll send you the file link of the latest version of the project as soon as possible.

I thought this issue was resolved, this is weird.

Best regards.

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
Hi, everything is cool, but how to make obj_move_box not pass through obj_solid or the same obj_move_box when pushing?
Hello!
This is a bug. This was fixed in the next update, but not released. However, if you want the project, DM me with purchase details.

Regards.

mr6dante6

Hello!
This is a bug. This was fixed in the next update, but not released. However, if you want the project, DM me with purchase details.

Regards.
I bought through Steam, what exactly and where to send it? There is a letter from Steam in the mail. I can send a screenshot of it

Japster

Advanced platform for for many purposes! With this platform engine, you will be able to make your own game without changing almost anything and at the same time having control of everything! Everything is very easy to customize, just change numbers or sprites and you have made a game!
  • For Game Maker Studio 2.3+ (Latest)

GALLERY:
Some GIFs of how the project is.

FEATURES:
What you will find in the project.

• Skills System: 4 types of skills that can be easily modified, added or removed. Using enumerators for the system.
    • Normal: You can put a sword in your hand to deal damage if you want.
    • Bomber: Drop bombs to kill and destroy everything in your front!
    • Shooter: Shoot with your weapon, it has spare ammo and reload time.
    • Shuriken: Like a ninja!, pull items for yourself with this skill.
  • Gamepads: Supports Direct Input and XInput controllers and others.
  • Save and Load System: Secure system that uses JSON and buffers (unreadable format).
  • State Machine: The player changes actions in a simple way using enumerators.
  • Jump/Variable Jump: You can jump and control the jump height, can be customized.
  • Multi Jump: Single, Double, Triple or infinite jump! You choose.
  • Friction and Acceleration: For the player.
  • Run: The player can run faster.
  • One Way Platform: Jump underneath the platforms and fall through.
  • Fall-through platforms: Can be deactivated in any instance.
  • Ladders: You can also shoot from the side when climbing.
  • Climb: On walls, I walked lightly.
  • Wall Jump: Climb and jump walls as you slide.
  • Wall Slide: Slowly slide down any wall.
  • Ice terrain: Slide on the ice!
  • Pixel Perfect Camera: Make the game look good on all screens! Smooth and fixed camera. You can change the focus of the camera just by setting the variable for any object.
  • Camera Shake: The camera shakes when taking damage or anything you want.
  • Camera Focus: Focus the camera on a specific area of the room.
  • Pixel Perfect Collisions System: Choose an object to be solid, you can stretch it that will work! No problems with infinite loops or crash.
  • Water Shader with Physics: Any sprite can be used as water. Control the brightness, saturation, contrast and color of the water via code.
  • Swim: The player can swim and walk underwater.
  • Menu: Uses only keyboard and gamepad, can adjust volume and others.
  • HUD/UI: Show your lives, scores, bullets, skills, coins and more.
  • Parallax Background: Depth effect in the background.
  • Dialog Boxes: Use only one function to add dialogs! No need to duplicate objects, can be done in the room editor. The text fits perfectly without extra words appearing at the end, it is possible to skip the text animation.
  • Plates with Text: Contains text that can be read using the dialog boxes.
  • Slopes: You can create any type of uneven terrain. (Recommended not to get close to 90 degrees vertical).
  • Terrain raycasting: The object you want can rotate on the ground (an enemy for example).
  • Pushable Box: It can be pushed and rotates on the ground.
  • Conveyor Belts: Auto configurable, just choose the sprite.
  • Moving Platforms: Both horizontal and vertical.
  • Directional Platforms: Change the number of platforms, circles, distance, distance between circles and speed.
  • Path-based platforms: Jump to activate or activate automatically, use multiple paths in one instance, draw path lines.
  • Silhouette Flash Shader: Perfect for demonstrating damage to an enemy when hit.
  • Trail effect: Leave the trail of any sprite to create a Metroidvania like effect. (can be customized.)
  • Coins: Collect coins that can be used for something.
  • Lives and Health System: Lose health when hit the player, lose lives if you have no health.
  • Invulnerability System: Player and enemies become invulnerable for a time when hit them.
  • Power ups: Comes with two types of power ups, bombs and lives, you can add as many as you want without having to duplicate objects.
  • Spring: Bounce, hold up to bounce higher!
  • Flexible Keyboard Map: All key events are stored in variables to be able to map in a simple way.
  • Music Player: Play a certain song at each level.
  • Audio Groups: All music and effects are organized into audio groups.
  • Pause: Pause the entire game at any time, and all sounds also pause!
  • Game Over: If you lose all lives, you will be returned to the menu. (or a game over screen).
  • Game Transitions: With a shader, you can create any transition between rooms however you want. Easy customizable.
  • Flag: Take it and go to the next level.
  • Damage Object: Make any thorn damage the player.
  • Custom Font: Includes a custom font that can be replaced.
  • Particles: Smoke when walking, slipping, explosions, water bubbles and gun fire.
  • Debugger: Includes X-ray, FPS, Real FPS, bounding boxes and others.
  • Optimized: Objects out of camera view are not drawn and you get performance on Android and iOS platform (and all others).
  • 6 Enemies (with AI):
    • Pterodactyl: Move smoothly left and right while looking at the player, step on top to kill him.
    • Fish: He stays in the water, just go over that he jumps high in random positions, you can kill with bombs.
    • Slug: While walking, if he realizes that the player is in front of it, he starts facing and start throwing his disgusting slime towards the player! If you step on top, it curls up in the shell and it is possible to kick it and if it is stopped for a while, it will return to normal. it doesn’t take damage from the shell.
    • Spiky: Walk left and right, sometimes jump and you can only kill with bombs.
    • Dinosaur: Walk left and right, stepping on top will flatten he out.
    • Carnivorous Plant: Look in your direction, if you get close it switch to attack position.
  • YYC Compatible.
  • Compatible with all platforms: Desktop, Mobile, Console and HTML 5 (with standard restrictions).
  • Variables names and general code with consistency.
  • Easy to modify and extend to your needs.
  • 2 example levels and 1 for tests.
  • All codes are commented by parts (but they are not supersaturated).
  • The player's entire logic is independent, so if you want to remove some functionality, it's easy.
  • Includes many sound effects and 8-bit music.
  • All sprites, audio and codes can be used in commercial games, BUT, you cannot resell this source code itself even if modified. (See EULA). If you find any problems, feel free to contact my email.
  • Made by a 9 years+ experienced programmer.
  • Credit is appreciated, but not mandatory. (Foxy Of Jungle :bunny:).
  • Everything is in a .yyz file, just open it with Game Maker Studio 2. (File > Open Project) This is a source project, using GML.

BUY PROJECT:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
✅ BUY IT ON YOYOGAMES MARKETPLACE | PRICE: $29.99
🎮 TEST IT ON ITCH.IO (DEMO, .zip and .apk) | Foxy Of Jungle (Get more amazing assets!)

(Both stores have identical versions that are stable). Itch.io password: foxy123 (The Itch.io site is under maintenance, will come back in the future).
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

All support will be given to those who buy the content, more updates will come. (Read EULA on itch.io fro some details).
After purchasing, you will receive free updates.

❗ Attention: This is not a mix of several projects, everything was done carefully from scratch and with love, all the details were thought out. I guarantee.
Thank you for getting here!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

ROADMAP UPDATED (To-do list):
Note that all of these things take time to do and what is written below can be removed or added at any time, it is not guaranteed to be included, but it is possible and I would like. There is no specific order of when I will add.

v1.3.1 Is released!
Check release notes.

Hey @FoxyOfJungle! - I grabbed this on offer a while ago, but I don't seem to be able to re-download it / the latest version?

Could you check for me please mate? - I can DM you my email address if it's not user-name based (purchases)...

Cheers as always, and fantastic engine!

PS - I too had an issue trying to edit / create a new room - it just displayed the entire level squished horizontally? - guessing it's something to do with the room camera and custom camera conflicting, maybe?

Cheers again!

Den.

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
Hey @FoxyOfJungle! - I grabbed this on offer a while ago, but I don't seem to be able to re-download it / the latest version?

Could you check for me please mate? - I can DM you my email address if it's not user-name based (purchases)...

Cheers as always, and fantastic engine!

PS - I too had an issue trying to edit / create a new room - it just displayed the entire level squished horizontally? - guessing it's something to do with the room camera and custom camera conflicting, maybe?

Cheers again!

Den.
Hi! Please talk with me on Discord, let's get this sorted out!
FoxyOfJungle#0167

Thanks!

Galla

Hi, have a little problem after installing Gamemaker version IDE v2022.6.0.23, Runtime v2022.6.0.23 (latest) and downloaded FoxeyEngine from the marketplace and hit play first i had the audio bug no audio group found after creating the groups and hit play there is a loading screen with 0% and nothing happens no errors or something similar, so im stuck in the loading screen any solution ? Thank you

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
Hi, have a little problem after installing Gamemaker version IDE v2022.6.0.23, Runtime v2022.6.0.23 (latest) and downloaded FoxeyEngine from the marketplace and hit play first i had the audio bug no audio group found after creating the groups and hit play there is a loading screen with 0% and nothing happens no errors or something similar, so im stuck in the loading screen any solution ? Thank you
Hello!

This is an old GameMaker issue that apparently hasn't been resolved yet (if you can report it to YYG too, it helps a lot). Basically, the Audio Groups are not imported when loading the project, so when running the game, it cannot load the audios, because if you created them manually, you would also have to associate them with the sounds and music. The solution is very simple, I wrote a step by step on how to solve this, click here:

maikw

question! Should it be easy to add a overworld map like donkey kong tropical freeze / super mario world and change the art of the game? I am totally new with gamemaker and just start with some beginner tutorials. I hope i can learn more from your project if i would buy it.

Thankyou.

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
Hello, @maikw

The project includes ready-to-use objects, just place them in the room, so you can easily modify the sprites to your desired ones. You can then add new tilesets and build your own maps. Objects have variables that can be easily modified, so you can customize speed and so on.

Cheers!

Hello @FoxyOfJungle Are the platforms and walls, object-collision or tile-collision?
If it`s object collision, can I use tile collisions in you engine?

I tried the apk demo on my phone but they no on-screen controls ? :(

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
Hello, @blitzbasement

Collisions are made through objects that serve as collision masks that are invisible while tilesets are displayed.
You can use tile collisions, but you would have to modify the player's collision codes to handle this, as the engine uses objects.

No on-screen touch buttons were implemented. You can however connect a keyboard or use a gamepad on the cell phone. The input system is pretty basic and you can replace it with a better one, like this one.

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
Hi @FoxyOfJungle,

is it possible to easily use this engine for HD Resolution? (1920x1080px)
Or is it too much work to go from Pixelart to HD?
Keep up the good work👍
Thank you! Yes, the collision codes take into account collision masks, bounding boxes... So just change the sprites and collision masks correctly. If there is a problem with this, I think it will be easy to solve. You will have to modify the codes that set the game resolution in obj_display_setup. If you have any further questions about this transition, feel free to ask.

Hi @FoxyOfJungle

Firstly, thank you for this wonderful asset. It has given me motivation to finally make the metroidvania I've always wanted to make. I have one question on the water mechanics.

I'm in the process of modifying the way water works to suit my game. Namely, I've made it so that the player floats when in the water and just swims across the surface. It's working great, but I noticed that when the player gets to shore (solid platform), he automatically jumps out of the water onto the platform if it is at the same level as the water. Is this something you coded into the engine? If so, where is the code that does this? I think it's a slick feature, I just can't find where it's coded.

If this isn't something you added and it's just a byproduct of the changes I made, then its the first time ever I've accidently added a great feature to a game. lol.

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
Hi @FoxyOfJungle

Firstly, thank you for this wonderful asset. It has given me motivation to finally make the metroidvania I've always wanted to make. I have one question on the water mechanics.

I'm in the process of modifying the way water works to suit my game. Namely, I've made it so that the player floats when in the water and just swims across the surface. It's working great, but I noticed that when the player gets to shore (solid platform), he automatically jumps out of the water onto the platform if it is at the same level as the water. Is this something you coded into the engine? If so, where is the code that does this? I think it's a slick feature, I just can't find where it's coded.

If this isn't something you added and it's just a byproduct of the changes I made, then its the first time ever I've accidently added a great feature to a game. lol.

Hello wafflesandbeer,

I'm glad you're enjoying Foxey Platform Engine ^^
Basically this is a known bug and it's not about the water itself, but about the horizontal collision with solid objects. This happens when there is a "one-way" type platform near the solid. I had fixed it, but I don't remember how. Currently I'm not updating this project anymore, because I'm focusing on others (and lack of motivation in this specific). I will only update it in cases of compatibility issues with GameMaker.

Cheers!

Hi there.

Another question for @FoxyOfJungle or anyone else who can answer. In looking through the obj_camera and display_manager code, it looks like the game automatically handles resolution in the display_manager object? One of the things I'm terrible at with game maker is resolution handling. Would I need to do anything special if I wanted to target systems with different resolutions like the Switch or PS4/PS5?

PS: I've already modified the engine to add dash, triple jump, hang gliding, and sword attacks. The engine is so well built to allow modifications!

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
Hi there.

Another question for @FoxyOfJungle or anyone else who can answer. In looking through the obj_camera and display_manager code, it looks like the game automatically handles resolution in the display_manager object? One of the things I'm terrible at with game maker is resolution handling. Would I need to do anything special if I wanted to target systems with different resolutions like the Switch or PS4/PS5?

PS: I've already modified the engine to add dash, triple jump, hang gliding, and sword attacks. The engine is so well built to allow modifications!
Hello, yes, this object scales the game screen automatically in different resolutions.
I haven't tested it on a PS4, but if that's the case, I recommend understanding a little more about resolutions, cameras, viewports, etc, to adapt to your needs.

Thanks for the words! I really appreciate it ^^
Cheers!