Forum sign in

M

michelle

It appears the sign in for the forums is a bit extreme in my humble opinion.

The over use of confirmation codes is almost a personal compulsion, proven via the requirement.
Although it's understood why the original need to exist, it's illogical to have it as a standard forum sign in procedure.
I noticed even if I select recognize this machine for 30 days feature, if I do a proper machine clean up, it makes all of the back up codes invalid, so where is the logic to make a forum user sign into their email every time just to obtain a new confirmation code for the machine? Considering Game maker itself keeps registration for their software on a computer drive, unless removed or HD changed.
I guess it's kind of a rant, but isn't intended to be mean or rude, merely as I said frustrating since I feel the site should store machine info via ip address to determine if the machine is permanent or not.
Or am I missing something here

Dog Slobber

The over use of confirmation codes is almost a personal compulsion, proven via the requirement.
There is a Capcha and then a confirm link in an email.

This is pretty standard for virtually all forums and sites I've become a member of.

I noticed even if I select recognize this machine for 30 days feature, if I do a proper machine clean up, it makes all of the back up codes invalid, so where is the logic to make a forum user sign into their email every time just to obtain a new confirmation code for the machine?
I have never seen this option on these forums. Are you sure your not thinking of a features in a password word manager like LastPass?

Considering Game maker itself keeps registration for their software on a computer drive, unless removed or HD changed.
I'm having trouble seeing the relevance of this point?

I guess it's kind of a rant, but isn't intended to be mean or rude, merely as I said frustrating since I feel the site should store machine info via ip address to determine if the machine is permanent or not.
I haven't seen any forum software store machine information by IP address and don't know what you mean by "if a machine is permanent or not".

Or am I missing something here
You really need to make a better effort to explain what your talking about.

M

michelle

There is a Capcha and then a confirm link in an email.

This is pretty standard for virtually all forums and sites I've become a member of.

I have never seen this option on these forums. Are you sure your not thinking of a features in a password word manager like LastPass?

I'm having trouble seeing the relevance of this point?

I haven't seen any forum software store machine information by IP address and don't know what you mean by "if a machine is permanent or not".

You really need to make a better effort to explain what your talking about.
Gawd really? which computer are you sitting at? yours or mine? nope no "lastpast" just a web. Guess I'll have to record my side to educate?

G

Guest User

i can't recall any time i've needed to get an email code or captcha just to sign in, so i don't think that's...normal. perhaps it is an anti-bot measure used for accounts with less than 5 posts?

for the "stay logged in" option i do believe it is tied to cookies, so if you clean those out then like any website it's going to forget you. i think you can have your browser remember & auto-fill passwords or perhaps find a way to have the browser pass over cookies from this particular forum.

E: small correction

Last edited by a moderator:

Dog Slobber

Here's a screenshot of the Sign up form.

Screen Shot 2018-04-15 at 1.56.09 AM.png

Just like I said,
One Captcha, absolutely nothing about "recognizing this machine for 30 days".

I have never had to sign on to email to obtain a new confirmation code. I confirmed once when I created the account, and haven't since,

Gawd really? which computer are you sitting at? yours or mine? nope no "lastpast" just a web. Guess I'll have to record my side to educate?
Please.

M

michelle

Yup sure the "sign up screen" but not the sign in screen for me.
The original post never mentioned anything about the sign up, it was the sign in in which was the problem for me.

M

michelle

BTW GM it would be nice if you backed me up on this one, as your records can recall what your system required me to do, to show I was correct thank you.

Dog Slobber

Yup sure the "sign up screen" but not the sign in screen for me.
The original post never mentioned anything about the sign up, it was the sign in in which was the problem for me.
Here's the Sign in Screen:

Screen Shot 2018-04-15 at 2.12.12 AM.jpg

No Captcha, nothing about recognize this machine for 30 days.

BTW GM it would be nice if you backed me up on this one, as your records can recall what your system required me to do, to show I was correct thank you.
You're the one ranting and making claims.

Maybe you should be the one backing up your claims.

G

Guest User

@michelle jsyk it is encouraged that users use the "Edit" button instead of chain posting, unless it has been over 24+ hours.

as Dog Slobber has pointed out, what you are experiencing is not standard sign-in procedure. my guess is that if the issue remains unresolved you should contact a "GM" and work with them as i doubt any ordinary member can really help if this is something truly bizarre or uncommon. though one will most likely come to you here, so just be patient for now.

M

michelle

@michelle jsyk it is encouraged that users use the "Edit" button instead of chain posting, unless it has been over 24+ hours.

as Dog Slobber has pointed out, what you are experiencing is not standard sign-in procedure. my guess is that if the issue remains unresolved you should contact a "GM" and work with them as i doubt any ordinary member can really help if this is something truly bizarre or uncommon. though one will most likely come to you here, so just be patient for now.
I agree, is also why I decided not to specifically reply to slobber again. It's pointless when he was not even trying to be helpful, but derogatory from the start.
As I refuse to get into a debate with someone whom makes a presumption.
After all it makes no logical sense for a poster to post something happening to them in specific, while at the same time having to tolerate someone whom has no experience with the specific dilemma, am I correct?
But yes it appears to be server side as I stated. thank you.
I suppose a stand up forum will back up my claims in the end, as they should disclose they have the so called options that is claimed to not exist by Slobber.
End until server update proof. ty.

By the way I have been a forum member of GM in much earlier versions dating as far back as 2001, so I would say I'm pretty experienced in forums, ty.

M

michelle

sign in step 1.jpg
I rest my argument again after cleaning my browser, I am required to go through the confirmation process yet again.
Just as I stated, in addition the box that shows "trust this device" for 30 days is presented.
Which Slobber denied even existed.
It keeps looping the confirmation process.

My point being even if I select the option box if the browser is cleaned out, the server doesn't remember the setting.
Is a glitch on the forum. Perhaps.

This happens every time I clean my browser out.
I am required to get yet a new confirmation number.
And by the way even if I allow the system to generate "Backup codes" to sign in, while the browser remembers the backup codes, the system does not allow them to stay valid.
In other words they become invalid.
And by the way yet again yes servers do record and match ip addresses with accounts.
It would be awfully dumb not to.

Isn't a computer problem, as I just purchased this about two weeks ago, and have the most recent MS updates, which was after this glitch.

G

Guest User

go to your profile settings (accessed via drop-down menu--or by clicking your username--in the right-hand corner) and turn off "Email Confirmation" under "Two-Step Verification".

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
You have two step verification enabled. This is enabled by default by the forum software but can be switched off in the User Settings. Go to the "Your Account" page, then on the left find the two-step verification section and disable it there.

if I do a proper machine clean up, it makes all of the back up codes invalid, so where is the logic to make a forum user sign into their email every time just to obtain a new confirmation code for the machine? Considering Game maker itself keeps registration for their software on a computer drive, unless removed or HD changed.
This is absolutely normal behavior! If you clear your browser cache then you have to log back in to all your sites. The browser cache is where all sites store the login details and cookies, so if you clear it then then you have to re-enter your details to access accounts again, and it's not something unique to this forum.

M

michelle

I think I may have found the problem indeed in settings. will come back after testing and edit if it fixes, thank you very much to those that have been helpful.
Was caused exactly as described from the forum masters :).
As I recall earlier version never had all of the code confirmations, and excessive settings ;), although I can understand why such options exist, for people that travel a lot, or use public wifi

[UPDATE]
Yes thank you very much for the helps problem solved even after cleaning out browser cache.
Was in settings. Seemed it was turned on by default oddly.
Topic can be closed is fitting.

Dog Slobber

Which Slobber denied even existed.
I never denied it existed. I was pretty clear in sharing that what you were attempting to describe was not what I was getting.

Go back and re-read your opening post. You did a terrible job of describing what your actual problem was. Next time instead of spending so much time ranting especially about irrelevant things like "IP addresses" and "permanent machines".

Notice how hipster was not able to help you based on your problem description. But as soon as he saw a screen shot with "Two-Step Verification" then he knew, as did I. That pretty much proves how poorly you described the issue.

In the future I suggest making an effort to properly describe your problem.
Avoid unnecessary and distracting ranting.
Don't confuse things by posting irrelevant information.
Don't get offended because others are not experiencing the same things you are.