OFFICIAL Forum Migration And Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Hi all! On Tuesday next week (25/2/20) we'll be migrating the forum to a new (more powerful) server and also updating the forum software to Xenforo 2.1.7.

This means we'll have at least a couple of hours of downtime that day... we hope it'll only be a very short downtime, but it could be up to 24 hours as this is quite a major change and even though it all seems to be easy enough, there is always the potential for unforeseen issues to crop up. We'll be starting at roughly 8.30am (BST) and hope to have everything back up and running by 11.30 (BST), although it may take more or less time depending on how smooth the transition goes.

We hope you understand and we also hope you appreciate the new(er) forum, which looks much nicer and has a few new bits-and-bobs for you all to use and enjoy. :)

Last edited:

xDGameStudios

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Quick question :p will the new forum allow for using discord-like code blocks?

```
My Code
```

or inline:

`inline code`

I didn't find a way to do it here in the forums yet (the inline one)!
the other can be done using tag [ CODE ]

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
...isn't it the time the GMC Jam theme is supposed to be announced? 13:00 BST is same as 12:00 UTC planned for Jam theme reveal.

Xer0botXer0

Senpai
Why complicate things with third parties, that makes it even more difficult for people to access the site.. doesn't it ? need to make such a decision long before the time!

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Do we no longer have a 3rd party website with the theme on it?
We do, but usually I'd access that 3rd party website from the GMC, and I think other people would, too. Plus, this 3rd party website is managed by... well, a third party, so there's no guarantee the theme will be up on time.

Another place would be GMC Jam Discord, but also not everyone goes there, and even if someone not active on Discord figured out that they need to check it out on Discord, they'd first need to get the Discord link which is on GMC... you get the idea.

For GMC Jam itself to go without any bumps, we would need to either have the upgrade done at least a day before it begins (i.e. Wednesday), or at least a day after it ends (i.e. Tuesday). Preferably before the Jam, so that it doesn't interfere with voting period either, but I guess that might be a little too hasty from technical standpoint.
@Nocturne Would it be possible to change the upgrade time so that it doesn't overlap with the Jam?

D

Deleted member 45063

@Nocturne is there an official list of the features of the forum itself that will be changed / available with the update? I can look at the official changelog but I don't know what the current version of Xenforo in the forums is so I'm not certain that I wouldn't be skipping some changelog entries. Another alternative would be if you could mention just the top 3 or so changes introduced that you deem more relevant to the GMC (one being obviously the more powerful server).

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Ummmm... Well, new (faster and more reliable) server from the YYG side of things, and the Xenforo update itself is pretty much cosmetic to the user, although there are some nice new features like the "like" button is now a Facebook-like selection of emoticons and we're considering implementing the updated "trophy" feature of the forums software too. This isn't a new feature, but was a bit of a pain on previous versions, but with Xenforo 2 it seems a lot more fun to use, so I think it would be a great addition to the GMC. With it, users that are active and supportive can be easily spotted by the trophies they've earned, so might also help keep people around (and avoid more THIS FORUM IS DYING topics... :p ). The other changes to Xenforo are all pretty much back-end with improved Admin controls and general forum stability/security.

gnysek

@Nocturne is there an official list of the features of the forum itself that will be changed / available with the update? I can look at the official changelog but I don't know what the current version of Xenforo in the forums is so I'm not certain that I wouldn't be skipping some changelog entries. Another alternative would be if you could mention just the top 3 or so changes introduced that you deem more relevant to the GMC (one being obviously the more powerful server).
From footer, where I can see "... (c) 2018", the maximum version is probably 2.0.12, as it was released on 11th December 2018. Next versions should update footer to 2019 ;)

D

Deleted member 45063

From footer, where I can see "... (c) 2018", the maximum version is probably 2.0.12, as it was released on 11th December 2018. Next versions should update footer to 2019 ;)
But then you still have the problems of custom settings so you can never be sure what features you're going to get :p

Hi all! On Tuesday next week (25/2/20) we'll be migrating the forum to a new (more powerful) server and also updating the forum software to Xenforo 2.1.7.

This means we'll have at least a couple of hours of downtime that day... we hope it'll only be a very short downtime, but it could be up to 24 hours as this is quite a major change and even though it all seems to be easy enough, there is always the potential for unforeseen issues to crop up.

We hope you understand and we also hope you appreciate the new(er) forum, which looks much nicer and has a few new bits-and-bobs for you all to use and enjoy. :)
Never had any problems with this one, but it's good to be proactive.

Server migrations are fun. May your DNS changes propagate correctly, so the folks working at your helpdesk don't have to pull an all-nighter.

Thanks for letting us know!

gnysek

Yeah, in fact I never encountered any server issues, it's interesting that forum need more powerful one, so must be just a better offer for same/lower price :)

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
That, or maybe they're preparing themselves for an influx of new users/new Programming forum posts after new GML features make it to the open beta...?

S

SSJCoder

yea, bring out that defibrillator, these forums are practically begging for it

Xer0botXer0

Senpai
Can we have a shout box ? I remember a forum "sherwoodGeneral" used to have one at the top, people still used the forum but we also had some awesome discussions in the shout box!
Also the mods are probably getting bored so if you add a shout box they'll have more to moderate!

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Give us more skin options please. Yellow on black, black on black, and pink on purple. Cheers :)
No. Vaporwave pink/blue neon on black is the ONLY skin we'll be getting.

Also the mods are probably getting bored so if you add a shout box they'll have more to moderate!
That is precisely why we'll not have such a thing... We have enough to do and it would be too much to expect us to moderate something like that 24hours a day.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
I just paid closer attention to the migration announcement and noticed it's 25th Tuesday now, which actually doesn't overlap with the Jam at all (which would be Thursday 27th)...?

Did I mistake Tuesday and Thursday again? Why English has so similar weekday names? >.<

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Wee update on the time... we'll be starting earlier than the original 10am (BST) and it'll be from about 8.30am (BST) that the forums will be down. Not much difference, but we want to get things moving as early as possible. :)

GMWolf

aka fel666
Can we have a shout box ?
Hmmm, it shouldn't be too hard to write a script that adds an irc chat box to the GMC home page.
If anyone is script savy, please make it!
If not I'll add it to my ever growing list of things I should work on but don't.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Hmmm, it shouldn't be too hard to write a script that adds an irc chat box to the GMC home page.
If anyone is script savy, please make it!
If not I'll add it to my ever growing list of things I should work on but don't.
If someone want's to do it then fine, but I'm afraid it will not be allowed to be linked to or posted anywhere on the forums. We cannot even tacitly be seen to be permitting such a thing as it could be taken as YYG being responsible for it, and as I've explained before, we cannot have that. It's impossible to provide round-the.clock moderation for a chat, which is what would be required.

GMWolf

aka fel666
If someone want's to do it then fine, but I'm afraid it will not be allowed to be linked to or posted anywhere on the forums. We cannot even tacitly be seen to be permitting such a thing as it could be taken as YYG being responsible for it, and as I've explained before, we cannot have that. It's impossible to provide round-the.clock moderation for a chat, which is what would be required.
But it's ok to link to discord, etc?
Hmmm :/

gnysek

They won't link to anything that isn't official and moderated by them, to not take responsibility for user actions. Usually, on shoutboxes, or discord channels there's a lot of offtop na flame, and it would be really hard to moderate it (one person for full time might be not enough).

Also, why you need a shoutbox on forums? There's already "Profile posts" section which does nearly same:

upload_2020-2-24_13-6-25.png

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
But it's ok to link to discord, etc?
Discord is external to the site, and as such not our problem. Linking to a script that integrates discord WITHIN the GMC would not be permitted. There's a subtle difference...

Xer0botXer0

Senpai
They won't link to anything that isn't official and moderated by them, to not take responsibility for user actions. Usually, on shoutboxes, or discord channels there's a lot of offtop na flame, and it would be really hard to moderate it (one person for full time might be not enough).

Also, why you need a shoutbox on forums? There's already "Profile posts" section which does nearly same:

View attachment 28947
filters..

only those who've bought GMS may use it, and the chatbox is only available for 2 hours a day between xx:xx and yy:yy. And integrated profanity filter, and noting that users appear to be mature around here.

well that's why I asked for a scrollbar in the "profile posts" feed.. because atm we only have like 5 visible posts at once..

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
... and then you expect me to babysit the horde during those two hours? No way in hell am I going to sign up for that. :p

GMWolf

aka fel666
Im Still waiting for embedding html5 games in forum posts. GIVE IT TO US!
Damn the security implications!

gnysek

That also have no sense. If I want to read a forum, I don't want to download several megabytes of game, that I might not want to play at all.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Why don't we just add a separate "main" site with a web player where people can upload their games... oh wait, we've been over that already.
On a more serious note, though, none of the few things above are feasible to implement, due to security risks, responsibility concerns or the need for me to actually start doing my damn job.

GMWolf

aka fel666
How about a script that finds all code tags with a URL in them and embeds the GM game.... I'm sure moderators would love it if I made it :p

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
This violates the YoYo Games branding guidelines, you are not allowed to recolor the GMS 2 logo. I'll report this... to yourself. :x

... which reminds me of this abomination I made a while back. We should have a new theme centered around this, where everything is just fabulous. Only verified Master Collection owners would be able to use it, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.