Android Formula Dash [FREE]

M

matzetoni

Hey,
I recently published an application at the Google Play Store which is called "Formula Dash". It's entirely made with Game Maker Studio Professional. The game is about maths and made for students. It's hard to master, even for a genius in maths. Just take a look, it took me several weeks to program.
Ratings, suggestions and feedback welcomed!

Link to store site:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bbg.formula_dash

Have fun :)
Some images here:

Last edited by a moderator:
M

matzetoni

Hmm... made a mistake with that link to the store site. However I think it's fixed now

D

DyingSilence

The design is incredible. It's simple, clear, and does what it's tasked to do. Great work, really!
I can't get the hang of it yet, i comprehend the symbols, but damn, it's a lot to process in such a short time. Guess it's time to git gud :D

M

matzetoni

Thanks for your nice words :) Makes me very happy!
Yeah, it IS hard. But skill comes with practice, just like in any other game.

D

DyingSilence

I'd argue, that not in any other - some designs are too poor or greedy to involve skill, not even speaking about skill progression :-D

D

DyingSilence

Also, i have an idea for a little improvement:

You can make that everytime player scores a good answer in a row, the commentary on the top gets more and more flattering. Some kind of "kill streak" type feature.

M

matzetoni

Your idea sounds very good. Why not? I think I'll implement this with the next update. 10 Random comments are a bit boring.
Thanks a lot for your suggestion :) It will be a great addition to the game.

btw have you found ... the secret game mode? ;)

D

DyingSilence

Not yet. I'm quite sad, as my save file has been erased without me doing it, so i don't even have time trial mode. This may require a fix, as i'm almost sure it was caused by the game. It appeared to happen when i started tutorial from menu after some regular playing. Maybe you have save resetting code in your tutorial?

I may try to hunt it down as i'm aware of that secret mode now :-D

I'm really glad my suggestion was helpful :)

D

DyingSilence

And, after some time of usage, a little thing about the menu:

Those symbols falling down the screen can get tiresome to look at sometimes when they mix with actual menu content.

My idea for fix is to at least lower their alpha, maybe make them blurry.

But, if it's conflicting your design for it to be purely black and white, you can make the center of the screen an obstacle for their fall, so they won't interrupt the content anymore and also they will become much more fun physical interaction to watch. It may behave like shelf, but also like an umbrella, there are many ways you can go with this.

D

DyingSilence

I've just discovered that super secret mode.
It's a really fun thing, but not so game redefining, that it would be bad not to include it in core game.

Great job with that idea :)

Now, let's see if my unlock is persistent or do i have to get through the sequence all over again :D

M

matzetoni

Thanks a lot for reporting these bugs. I'm very sorry about your deleted save file, I'll try to find out what caused this. I tried to reproduce your bug but had no "luck" :(. I also have no reset code in the tutorial.
I agree with your opinion about the menu, since v0.4.4 is not the final version, I'll probably redo this.
The super secret mode should be unlocked permanently until you delete your savefile manually via the stats in the menu (this resets all savefiles).
I don't know what happened there with the score display, was it while super secret mode was enabled?
How did you manage exactly to lose your save?
How did the score display behave after you had more correct than total formulas? Did the total number counter just stop counting at a particular formula / number? Or were there more than 1 point for a correct answer? etc.

I'm really sorry, I hope I can fix those problems in the next days. Since I'm a solo developer, it's always hard to find and fix all bugs.
Especially because I designed it, I always use the app as planned, so I generally oversee some bugs while testing the game.

Thanks again for your awesome feedback and bug reporting :)

D

DyingSilence

It was with the secret mode enabled. The "correct" score worked as normal, the "total" was frozen, didn't increment a bit since then.

M

matzetoni

I was able to recreate the "total-counter-frozen"-bug by randomly tapping on my phone with 8 fingers o_O and this should be fixed now. The new version will increment the total number by checking the y-coordinate of the formula object (and a additional variable to let it only increment once). The moment the formula enters the screen, the number will increase. The super secret mode does not change the behavior of this method.
About the lost save file: I checked every object in my project about overwriting the save files. Only the manual reset via the stats has the ability to reset them to 0 while they're existing. The other option is a "save checker" at start up, which default sets the save files to 0, if there aren't any save files yet. I really don't know what could have deleted / reset your save :confused:
I would appreciate you reporting it instantly, if your save gets deleted again, especially every step you've done before it was lost, is important for me to know. I know losing save files is one of the worst things that can happen. But since I can't recreate this bug (I have a save file with >1000 formulas in total and never stepped in this bug before) I don't have an idea what could have caused this ingame.

M

matzetoni

The update (v0.4.5) is online NOW! I fixed the counter bug and changed the menu (looks better now), "kill streak commentary" also added!

D

DyingSilence

That depth in menu is an excellent idea!

How many good answers does it take to get to the streak? Also, is it only in Standard mode? Because i've got three good answers max and didn't see the feature yet :D

M

matzetoni

The "kill streak commentary" is currently only in standard mode. You always need 5 (+1) correct answers to see new commentary. There are 4 stages of different commentary:
-standard (between 0 and 4 previously correct answers)
-amazing (between 5 and 9 previously correct answers, this means the 6th correct answer in a row will have new commentary...)
-can't believe this (between 10 and 15 previously correct answers)
-you're god of maths (more than 15 previously correct answers)
Yeah, it is a very subtle feature because there is no counter on screen or something like a pop-up which says directly "you reached a new stage of awesomeness" when you have 5 correct answers in a row. But it should become noticable as you reach more than 5 / 6 correct answers.
Glad you liked the changed menu :)