• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion Force Windows target to not load any textures on startup

gnysek

In draw_texture_flush documentation says:

you can also force the Windows target to not load any textures on startup and so use the flush and prefetch functions as you would on all other platforms (the setting can be found in the Windows Options window).
However even when I follow link in documentation, there's no word about this feature, neither in IDE nor on screenshots.
Is it not completed yet or was removed ?

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
The default on GMS2 is to not load the textures at start up time so this bit of the documentation is incorrect for GMS2, this is the default behaviour (and you cannot change to the GMS1 default behaviour)

Russell

rIKmAN

The default on GMS2 is to not load the textures at start up time so this bit of the documentation is incorrect for GMS2, this is the default behaviour (and you cannot change to the GMS1 default behaviour)

Russell
Just to clarify, are you saying that GMS2 no longer loads all images into memory at startup by default?

This was an issue GMS1 with larger projects and some people were having issues with crashes on startup due to memory issues because of everything being loaded into memory whether it was needed or not (mainly on mobile), so if this behaviour has been changed in GMS2, then this should definitely be updated in the docs.

Last edited:

gnysek

I've noticed since last update, that games lags and screen is black for one frame sometimes, probably when loading texture (it's when I make a click which creates new instance, with sprite didn't yet displayed before) - so seem they touched it in 2.0.7.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
As I stated above nothing is loaded into memory by default at startup all textures are created as they are rendered (this is the same on all platforms), this is a difference to GMS1.x and the documentation should reflect that - I will have a word with Mark when he gets back from holiday.

Russell

rIKmAN

As I stated above nothing is loaded into memory by default at startup all textures are created as they are rendered (this is the same on all platforms), this is a difference to GMS1.x and the documentation should reflect that - I will have a word with Mark when he gets back from holiday.

Russell
Is this also true in regards to textures used by Spine skeletons?

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
All textures (no matter where they come from) are the same in this regard

Russell