• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Force software vertex processing

T

TypicalHog

My game runs faster with this option turned on. (Everyone says it will run slower and this should be used for debugging and compatibility purposes only)

My CPU: i5 4460 3.2 GHz
My GPU: GTX 960

Software VP: 480~ FPS
Hardware VP: 410~ FPS

RangerX

I suppose its possible with a machine that isn't really fast but with a good graphic card.
However, I don't even know if that option is considered in the build once your game executable or installer is created. It might only influence the testing builds.
This would have to be confirmed with Yoyo staff though.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Totally depends on what the game is doing..... if everything is batched properly, HW will always win out.

RujiK

@Mike
Can you explain what "Batched Properly" means? I too have a performance increase when forcing software vertex processing.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Minimise both the number of draw calls, and texture swaps (see the show_debug_overlay). Every time theres a "swap", the speed for GPU rendering reduces. If this number is high, software vertex processing might take over.

Course....some older machines might just have crap GFX, and a faster CPU.