iOS For mac and ios Please answer

Discussion in 'GameMaker Studio 2 Community Tech Support' started by 3jgamesdev, Oct 10, 2019.

1. 3jgamesdev

3jgamesdev Member

Hi good day,

I have bought a second hand high sierra macbook pro late 2011, and now i was able to create a mac version of my game, now my problem is the ios version, I dont have any iphone or ipad, is it possible to make aa api format without any iphone or ipad devices?, or do i really need to buy iphone as well to create an api?

please let me know, this is my first time doing an ios and using mac,

Thanks

2. chorrus

chorrus Member

It is pretty useful to have iOS devices, however Xcode has simulators where you will be able to test your game(at least you will see how it looks, framerate is extremely low).

3. 3jgamesdev

3jgamesdev Member

am i able to compile my own api? using the simulator only?

4. chorrus

chorrus Member

I'm not sure what you mean with api, what are you trying to build?

5. 3jgamesdev

3jgamesdev Member

i dont have an ios device, so if it waspossible to create an api with simulator, i cant detect the simulator from my mac to my ios device manager

6. rIKmAN

rIKmAN Member

I think you are getting confused with what an API is, which is why your question isn't making much sense.
    When you say API, do you actually mean your game binary?

You can export and test your game on the simulators found in xCode as chorrus mentioned, however I wouldn't advise releasing a game without first testing it on actual hardware.

7. 3jgamesdev

3jgamesdev Member

I thought if it was android then it was apk, if ios then api?, so maybe im wrong anyway,is if it was possible to create a ios compilation with simulators? , I am planning to buy an iphone, maybe around 1-2months, due to lack of budget, so i was asking here maybe it was possible to make an ios compiled project with just simulator, I was trying to make a research about it, but still it the device manager cant pick up the simulator,

8. rIKmAN

rIKmAN Member

You don’t need a device to compile your game and deploy it to the App Store, it’s all built and done through xCode - including Store submission.

However as I mentioned I would not recommend releasing anything without having tested it on actual hardware first, as although the simulators will give you a rough idea of how the game will look - performance is usually pretty poor.

Take a look through the official setup guide which also mentions targeting simulators.

https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001368747-Setting-Up-For-iOS

3jgamesdev and chorrus like this.
  9. 3jgamesdev

3jgamesdev Member

okay thanks