fonts with specific letters, not entire alphabet

Discussion in 'Programming' started by bsabiston, May 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. bsabiston

bsabiston Member

If you want to create a font with just specific letters, like for a giant title, do you have to add ranges for each letter if they aren't next to each other in the alphabet? And do you have to figure out yourself what the ASCII values are? Isn't there some way of just typing, for example "MY TITLE" in there and having it add just those letters? There must be, I just am not seeing it...
    Thanks for any help!

2. obscene

obscene Member

Yep... just as you described. Clear the ranges out, add a new one and type in what you want.

upload_2018-5-26_16-43-4.png

3. bsabiston

bsabiston Member

Isn't that GMS 1.4? My GMS 2 doesn't look like that.

4. CMAllen

CMAllen Member

Alternatively, use font_add_sprite_ext() function. You can use that to create a custom font (note: run-time functionality only) from a sprite asset and define what characters are in the font and in what order. Easy, peasy. This can also be used to create highly-stylized fonts and non-text characters (like a [Shop] button image).

5. bsabiston

bsabiston Member

Anyone know how to do this? I did it at one point, but now have forgotten. There's a way to do it in the IDE.

6. IndianaBones

IndianaBones Member

1. Double-click the font in the resource tree.
    2. Delete existing range.
    3. Add your custom range.
    upload_2018-12-16_22-51-38.png

7. bsabiston

bsabiston Member

Thanks but that doesn’t work - it adds the entire range of letters between your highest and lowest characters. For instance if you just wanted A and M, you would get the whole alphabet between A and M.

I tried everything I could think of and eventually had to add a single character range for every character in my title by looking up the ascii. Can’t believe they make this so hard.

8. obscene

obscene Member

Doesn't my example work? You simply remove all ranges and type the letters you want in.

9. bsabiston

bsabiston Member

No - as I say, it adds the entire range of the alphabet which includes the letters you type and every letter in between.

10. obscene

obscene Member

Did a quick test by adding the word Test to a new font. It created two ranges, one for E, and one for ST. It's a little different in GMS2 apparently but it should look like this if you do it right. Click add range, type the letters, click add range button on the right.

upload_2018-12-16_13-53-20.png

11. bsabiston

bsabiston Member

What, you’re in GMS 1? Yeah I know that’s how it USED to work. It doesn’t do that in GMS 2.

12. obscene

obscene Member

The screenshot I just posted was GMS2.

13. bsabiston

bsabiston Member

Wait I’m confused. If you tried it in GMS 2, why did you say “it’s a little different in GMS2 apparently”? I tried it many times yesterday with the latest version and it didn’t work for me. Tried it with the ‘use file’ option too where I just made a file with my title in it. Didn’t work.

14. TheouAegis

TheouAegis Member

Why don't you just make a Sprite out of the entire title? It's a lot more memory for game maker to draw a string of characters than it is for it to draw one single image, and by the sounds of it you only need it for one single image.

15. bsabiston

bsabiston Member

I don't think that is true about the amount of memory required - besides, I do animated effects with the different letters. Anyway as I said I did get it to work by manually specifying a separate range for each individual character. I just wondered if this feature in GMS2 is broken or if there is some secret way to do it that I could not figure out.

16. obscene

obscene Member

My first post (way back when) was in GMS1. The screenshot today was me just trying it out in GMS2 and yes it's different but it completely, totally works...

17. bsabiston

bsabiston Member

Well it doesn’t work for me, I tried it every way I could think of

18. obscene

obscene Member

See if this helps....

[​IMG]

19. bsabiston

bsabiston Member

Yeah that’s what I did - I don’t know why it isn’t working. Like I said in the original post I’m pretty sure it worked before. Maybe just need to restart my computer.

20. bsabiston

bsabiston Member

Lol well today it will not even make a range at all! I recorded a gif but it says it is too large. You can see it here:
    https://gph.is/2LmC5YN

21. obscene

obscene Member

That's crazy. I'm sure you've tried restarting. A different font. Assign it to a different texture group, etc. But you've got some kind of bug going on there... no wonder you are frustrated lol. Doing it all right. :)