GameMaker Font size change not working correctly

G

gameon

I created my own fonts using different sizes within a for loop and the font_add function. The idea was to have the font sizes equal the name then you could use a font by the size or use "+" or "-" to move up or down (respectively) in size. The code looks like this:

Create:
Code:
// Create our font size range 8-48.
minsize = 8;
maxsize = 48;

// Create our font with inconsolta. Sizes and names are the same 8-48.
var myfont = working_directory + "Inconsolata.otf"
for(i = minsize; i < maxsize; i++)
{
 font_add(myfont, i, false, false, 32, 127)
}

// The variable "font" sets our font size. We will start at 12
font = 12;
In Keypress(Any) Script:
Code:
key = keyboard_key;

if (line < 100 && !keyboard_check (vk_control))
{
  if (string_count(chr(key), keys) == 1 || key > 127)
 {   
  blink = true; alarm[0] = blink_speed;
  cursx += wid; pos++;

txt[line] = string_insert(keyboard_lastchar, txt[line], pos)
 }
}

if (key != vk_control && keyboard_key != vk_alt){
switch(key){

case vk_add:
 font++;
 if (font > maxsize) {font = minsize;}
 break;

case vk_subtract:
 font--;
 if (font < minsize) {font = maxsize}
break;
}}
When I use the "-" key it will get smaller but then will skip to the last size sometimes. While the "+" key doesn't seem to work at all. Any advice on how to approach this better?

EDIT: break statements are in my original code just didnt copy over, so I added them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Azenris

you are missing breaks in the case

so on an add, it runs both the add and subtract code, leaving it the same

G

gameon

That's interesting must not have copied over. Breaks are in my code. Not only did I double check but its the first thing I do by typing:

case:
break;

Anyway, with being real numbers I had a revelation that perhaps they are being confused with the GMs array resource structure in which I just learned.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
When I use the "-" key it will get smaller but then will skip to the last size sometimes
Okay, I suspect this is because you have no alarm to control the input speed? Normally, when dealing with input, I set an alarm and then check if it's counted down before accepting further input. So you'd have Alarm[0] - ofr example - with simply a comment like "// Input Alarm" (if you don't have at least a comment in there then the alarm won't count down), and then in your code you'd have something like

Code:
if alarm[0] < 0
{
// Input code here
}
This will prevent input seemingly "skip" values. This may also be the issue with the "+" section, as it's skipping up so quick that it goes back to the smaller size again (as your code looks fine otherwise).

G

gameon

@Nocturne Brilliant! That solved most of it.

However, the sizes didn't quite add up so I tried what I had said previously by running:
Code:
font = 0;    //Minimum font size 8?
font = 40;  //Maximum = 40?
Both were closer to the correct size in relation to the text box size, in this case around 8 and 48. Also another big hint, why I tested this in the first place was the fact that before I wrote the above test code the sizes actually changed after 39. In an array 39 is the 40th "place" which happens to be the max size above with my theory.
Okay on to string values?