Graphics FMV & Character Icons

T

Treecase86

In my game I can't figure out what I should do, for important events, should I have a FMV play or should I do what I normally do for cutscenes and just have text appear above the characters? For character icons during the game, should I get a drawing tablet, draw the pictures, and scale them down to fit the icon, similar to what Chrono Trigger has icons look like:
Chrono.png?
Or draw them with a mouse at the size they'll be at in-game?

P.S. my game is a 16-bit Platformer.

T

Tango

For the cutscene thing, it depends. For games where text is important like an RPG, use what you would normally do for cutscenes with texts, because then the player have enough time to analyze the text. If not, you can use FMVs, although I think do at the traditional way is more easier, and FMV would be better for very epic and detailed scenes. More like an ending.

For the Icons, it depends too. Your game you'll be completely pixelated or completely smooth? Or the mix of the two? If you gonna make a pixel based art-style game, your should draw in the size that would in-game, because if you try re-size, it will most look strange, and the results may not be like you wish. If you're making an more smooth art-style, re-size is a good idea. You should try the 2 methods in one icon to see which one have the best result to you.

T

Treecase86

For the cutscene thing, it depends. For games where text is important like an RPG, use what you would normally do for cutscenes with texts, because then the player have enough time to analyze the text. If not, you can use FMVs, although I think do at the traditional way is more easier, and FMV would be better for very epic and detailed scenes. More like an ending.

For the Icons, it depends too. Your game you'll be completely pixelated or completely smooth? Or the mix of the two? If you gonna make a pixel based art-style game, your should draw in the size that would in-game, because if you try re-size, it will most look strange, and the results may not be like you wish. If you're making an more smooth art-style, re-size is a good idea. You should try the 2 methods in one icon to see which one have the best result to you.
Thanks for your advice.