• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

GameMaker FMOD dll not working on GMS2

Z

ze1

I imported a project from GMS to GMS2 which makes use of FMODGMS.dll. However, when I try to run the project, the game doesn't play any music. After investigating a little, I found out that all functions (even FMODGMS_Sys_Create()) are returning 0.
Am I missing something? Are there any extra steps to make DLLs work on GMS2?

Last edited by a moderator:

M.S.T.O.P.

FMODGMS dev here.

I haven't been able to get it to work in GM:S 2 either. I'm not sure if the process or requirements for creating DLL-based extensions have changed between GM:S and GMS 2, but I'm trying to figure that out.

Z

ze1

Oh okay. I really like that extension, so I'll be looking forward to news! Thank you for your work! :)

I

icuurd12b42

turn on the WTF variable in the init

I bet it's failing on functions that have more than 4 args as per a bug introduced in studio

G

grixm

M

MishMash

Just going to throw this out there, but doesn't the GMS audio system now use FMOD anyway?

I

icuurd12b42

yeah, totally thought it was that @grixm ...

OP: The following problems may be the cause:
1) you forgot to include fmod.dll in your includes or
2) you put that gms dll and the fmod.dll in a sub folder in the includes...

fmod.dll is loaded as early binding from the wrapper dll and so it needs to be part of the distribution as that dll is loaded at the same time as the wrapper. if it's not there the external define will fail... And they both need to be in your include structure without specifying a sub folder so that they are both in the exe folder in the final install.

>Just going to throw this out there, but doesn't the GMS audio system now use FMOD anyway
@MishMash, Unfortunately, no. I dont know why, I basically told yoyo they could even use my code... Not sure what system they use, but it aint this wonderful fmod which every decent game dev uses

Last edited by a moderator:

Lewa

>Just going to throw this out there, but doesn't the GMS audio system now use FMOD anyway
@MishMash, Unfortunately, no. I dont know why, I basically told yoyo they could even use my code... Not sure what system they use, but it aint this wonderful fmod which every decent game dev uses
Maybe it is a licensing issue? As far as i can see fmod isn't an entirely "free" product: http://www.fmod.org/sales/

I

icuurd12b42

it's also very confusing. They changed the licensing to an incomprehensible mess. That's when I decided to drop it

M.S.T.O.P.

Okay, after much experimentation, I managed to get my FMODGMS extension working under certain conditions. If I try to run a game using it within the IDE (pressing "Run" or "Debug"), it doesn't work and throws up a lot of "LoadLibraryA failed with error 126" messages. But if I export the game as an executable and then run it outside of GMS2, it works perfectly. Now I'm wondering why GMS2 can't find the DLLs during testing.

I would also like to add, if this matters, that I included the DLLs in the extension itself via the Extension Editor rather than in the Included Files folder. Likewise, all the functions are defined via the editor rather than with external_define.

Y

yoyowan

turn on the WTF variable in the init

I bet it's failing on functions that have more than 4 args as per a bug introduced in studio
I managed to make work GMFMODSimple.dll in studio 1.4 by bypassing all functions in LoadFMOD script containing more than 4 args. It's a shame because it is precisely those functions that I need for my project. Is there a way to make run those functions in Studio 1 or 2 ?

here is the list of functions I have bypassed :
FMODSoundLoop3d / 5 args
FMODSoundPlay3d / 5 args
FMODListenerSet3dPositionEx / 10 args
FMODBlockerAdd / 9 args
FMODBlockerSet3dOrientation / 7 args
FMODInstanceSetSpeakerMix / 9 args

(is there a bug ticket on it ?)

M.S.T.O.P.

Sorry to necrobump this thread, but I wanted people to know that the problem with FMODGMS not loading in certain situations has been fixed by the GameMaker Studio 2.1 update.

Lance

MSTOP that's great news!

Quick question. I wasn't able to find clarity on this on the FMODGMS itch page, and I'm an incredible noob at all this (I'm a sound designer not an engineer). Will this extension allow me to import and play events from an FMOD Studio build?

I

immortalx

I'm using FMODGMS right now and I'm only seeing the low-level API functions, so I guess you won't be able to do that.