Fly away with recoil

G

GottOBlandat

Hi, we are a couple of game student that studying the game design course on Uppsala University in Gotland, Sweden. We are currently working on a 2D platformer. The artistic style we are going after is the steam punk kind of theme. The game’s core mechanic and what we think can make the game interesting is the recoil. Every weapon in the game will have exaggerated recoil, the player will use the recoil to jump and to dodge. Imagine something like the Max Payne’s jumpback in slow motion but instead of the jumpback it will be a knockback of the weapon’s recoil and not so gravity restricted.

We have two different test builds that we would really appreciate if you tested and give us some feedback on our Google survey.

Google Survey: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...y-YBcyk6YpVGWNW6aiR0ahlQ/viewform?usp=sf_link

Download test link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zrigsetm4ri6at2/AAAB5FrqE39iTpIYhD32blsta?dl=0

Keyboard Controls for the game. Move: WASD, Shoot: Left mouse button, Reload: R

Ps4 controls. Move: left analog stick, Shoot: depends on the build press or hold R2, Reload: Square

On the build with charge up time you need to hold the left mouse button until the player turns red to use the recoil. On the build with no charge time you have two bullets to use before you must reload with R to shoot again. If there are some other questions, feel free to ask.

Website: https://gottoblandatstudio.wixsite.com/smokeem Contact mail: [email protected]

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
F

FROGANUS

greetings gotlanders, welcome to gamemaker board!
keep in mind this forum is based on yoyogames specific "gamemaker" software, so there might be another section for unity games? or.. you'll get kicked out or something? beware. :p

i like the concept of recoil- one of my first projects was also a platformer with recoil boost (see my avatar or here if you dare ;)).
my inspiration came from cave story where well into the game the machine gun grants you some really cool recoil-based mobility.

so anyways, i tried each version of your project, at least for a short bit. it ran smoothly on my windows 10 machine in a few different resolutions. here are some thoughts:

first thing i'd suggest 'focusing' on is views/cameras. the camera speed is not fast enough to follow the player. when you jump the player can leap out of the view very easily which is frustrating. try maybe faster camera speed or zoomed out/wider view area. establishing a comfortable view early on will make it a lot easier to work on for you and more attractive for any testers.

also due to the relatively close view, i can't see the crosshair when it is below me. so, to boost upwards the aiming seems a bit blind..
you could maybe make the crosshair closer to the player, or better yet, i'd recommend just setting up the crosshair as separate from player, attached to the mouse cursor so that it never gets lost.

you're asking for feedback of which version is preferable (charge or no charge)- my suggestion is even less limitation, don't be afraid to give a faster firing rate or 'clip' size than 2, and/or maybe a bigger boost, at least for testing purposes- you can always scale back later and/or make player eventually earn that power w/ levels or items or something..

G

GottOBlandat

greetings gotlanders, welcome to gamemaker board!
keep in mind this forum is based on yoyogames specific "gamemaker" software, so there might be another section for unity games? or.. you'll get kicked out or something? beware. :p

i like the concept of recoil- one of my first projects was also a platformer with recoil boost (see my avatar or here if you dare ;)).
my inspiration came from cave story where well into the game the machine gun grants you some really cool recoil-based mobility.

so anyways, i tried each version of your project, at least for a short bit. it ran smoothly on my windows 10 machine in a few different resolutions. here are some thoughts:

first thing i'd suggest 'focusing' on is views/cameras. the camera speed is not fast enough to follow the player. when you jump the player can leap out of the view very easily which is frustrating. try maybe faster camera speed or zoomed out/wider view area. establishing a comfortable view early on will make it a lot easier to work on for you and more attractive for any testers.

also due to the relatively close view, i can't see the crosshair when it is below me. so, to boost upwards the aiming seems a bit blind..
you could maybe make the crosshair closer to the player, or better yet, i'd recommend just setting up the crosshair as separate from player, attached to the mouse cursor so that it never gets lost.

you're asking for feedback of which version is preferable (charge or no charge)- my suggestion is even less limitation, don't be afraid to give a faster firing rate or 'clip' size than 2, and/or maybe a bigger boost, at least for testing purposes- you can always scale back later and/or make player eventually earn that power w/ levels or items or something..
Oh, we will keep that in mind. Yeah will totally check out your game, see what perspective you have taken on the recoil idea :) Yeah the crosshair is a total chaos right now, but we wanted to get out a test build for both of the recoil as fast as possible to see what people think of it. Yeah, your are totally right on the camera. It will be really annoying for the player if he/she wouldn't see them self every time the player recoiled back. We are think of have a levling up system were the player will earn more clip size, more damge, longer recoil ect. we are releasing a short demo with some art in it by the end of this week. wondering if you would do us the honor again and play test that version of the game?

And thank you for the feedback it always helps!