• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

*FIXED* Screen stays black after launching game

Z

Zeoth

So I've started working on this game for a school project.
Until a little while ago everything was working perfectly, but after I added a full-screen function the screens stays black after launching the game.
I only have a single room with a background and a few instances in it. For the full-screen option I made an object (without sprite) which executes the following code when the escape key i checked:

if window_get_fullscreen()
{
window_set_fullscreen(false);
}
else
{
window_set_fullscreen(true);
}

I hope that's enough information for you guys to be able to help me with my problem, if not, let me know and I'll react asap.

Thanks in advance : )

Did you maybe play around with the application surface drawing?
That's one reason that Instantly comes to my mind.. (yea I know it doesn't really have to do with fullscreen)

Z

Zeoth

Did you maybe play around with the application surface drawing?
That's one reason that Instantly comes to my mind.. (yea I know it doesn't really have to do with fullscreen)
For as far as I know I didn't, but since I'm still new to this I might've done something without knowing it, so I'm looking into it right now.

Z

Zeoth

For as far as I know I didn't, but since I'm still new to this I might've done something without knowing it, so I'm looking into it right now.
It doesn't seem to be the case. I've tried adding:
application_surface_enable(true);
but that doesn't seem to help either, so I think the problem is somewhere else.

Thanks anyways though.

rIKmAN

It doesn't seem to be the case. I've tried adding:
application_surface_enable(true);
but that doesn't seem to help either, so I think the problem is somewhere else.

Thanks anyways though.
I think there were black screen issues that were fixed by enabling "alternative syncronization" in the game settings.
Give that a try and see if it helps.

Z

Zeoth

I think there were black screen issues that were fixed by enabling "alternative syncronization" in the game settings.
Give that a try and see if it helps.
1. I'm too stupid to find the global game settings, oops. (I've searched on the internet, but what I found was for an older version of gamemaker studio (I'm using GS2) so that didn't help either)

2. I ran the debugger and this section seemed like it could be causing it not to work (though I don't completely understand it)

Reading project file....F:\E_M\Gamemaker\Duck Quest
Reading project file....C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes\runtime-2.1.3.189\BaseProject
Reading config delta 'F:\E_M\Gamemaker\Duck Quest\options\main\inherited\options_main.inherited.yy'
RetrieveJSON - failed to find: F:\E_M\Gamemaker\Duck Quest\objects\Obj_Player\Obj_Player.yy
RetrieveJSON - failed to find: F:\E_M\Gamemaker\Duck Quest\objects\Obj_shit_runnen\Obj_shit_runnen.yy

Sorry for not responding for a while and thanks for trying to help : )

Hyomoto

So, typically, if all you have is a black screens that means the program is launching. It's possible, however, to mess up in a lot of ways and end up with no graphics.

To test you would want to isolate out where things are going wrong. For example, you could add objects to the room that are supposed to be drawn, having them show a debug message during the draw step will let you know the draw step is being performed. You could also add a background layer to the room of a different color and see if that draws.

There's a high chance, especially if you are new, that the problem is rudimentary. If you upload your project I'm sure someone can take a look at it as well.

Z

Zeoth

1. I'm too stupid to find the global game settings, oops. (I've searched on the internet, but what I found was for an older version of gamemaker studio (I'm using GS2) so that didn't help either)

2. I ran the debugger and this section seemed like it could be causing it not to work (though I don't completely understand it)

Reading project file....F:\E_M\Gamemaker\Duck Quest
Reading project file....C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes\runtime-2.1.3.189\BaseProject
Reading config delta 'F:\E_M\Gamemaker\Duck Quest\options\main\inherited\options_main.inherited.yy'
RetrieveJSON - failed to find: F:\E_M\Gamemaker\Duck Quest\objects\Obj_Player\Obj_Player.yy
RetrieveJSON - failed to find: F:\E_M\Gamemaker\Duck Quest\objects\Obj_shit_runnen\Obj_shit_runnen.yy

Sorry for not responding for a while and thanks for trying to help : )
I just now fixed it, seems like I made a beginner mistake of not checking 'Visible' in the room option.
Thanks though to LucasTheNewbie and rlKmAN for the time you spent trying to help me.

Z

Zeoth

So, typically, if all you have is a black screens that means the program is launching. It's possible, however, to mess up in a lot of ways and end up with no graphics.

To test you would want to isolate out where things are going wrong. For example, you could add objects to the room that are supposed to be drawn, having them show a debug message during the draw step will let you know the draw step is being performed. You could also add a background layer to the room of a different color and see if that draws.

There's a high chance, especially if you are new, that the problem is rudimentary. If you upload your project I'm sure someone can take a look at it as well.
You were right, I made the most rookie mistake possible haha