Discussion First Video Game Love

I was going through my old video game collection and stumbled upon my copy of Pokemon Yellow Version. This game was the first video game that I played constantly. The first game I put hours upon hours into. It has so many great memories with it and is still the game I think of when I think about why I love video games. It wasn't even my first favorite video game but it was the first game I really played every inch of because I loved it so much.

Pokemon Yellow taught me how important it is to make a game world that you just love spending time in whether you accomplish anything or not.

What is your first video game love and how does it inspire you even now?

Attachments

Pokémon Yellow was big for me as well, as a first game, but the PS1 Spyro games were what truly sparked my imagination and motivation for game development, long before I knew anything about how it was done, though likewise because of the believable, engaging world -- not believable in terms of realism, but with a cohesiveness and enough interconnective details and beautiful environments.

Mr Magnus

Viking King
I loved a lot of games growing up for various reasons. However I believe the oldest game I really loved to the point of playing constantly was Bugs Bunny, lost in time for the PC.

It was a very fun platformer with a character I loved - what was there to dislike?

That's the oldest I can remember, but there were a lot of games around that time I enjoyed and the difference between memories of 5 year old me, 7 year old me and 9 year old me are all kind of chronologically jumbled together, so there are a lot of potential contenders.

My NES with SMB/Duck Hunt was the first one, but I fell in love many. For PC it's hard to say as there were so many killer titles coming out when I was a teen. Diablo, Starcraft, Civilization II, Grim Fandango, Age of Empires, Duke Nukem, Grand Prix II...it's hard to even remember which one came first, lol

Would have to be the old Apogee games. Played them to bits. We use to get the game demo's on shareware (floppy) disks.

Commander Keen is probably the winner of them all, although I'm nostalgic about all of the apogee games.
http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Main_Page
is probably the best summary of all the keen games.

It's so cool to see Crystal Caves get an HD remake: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1330890/Crystal_Caves_HD/

I've probably gone through and read a bunch of interviews done on various game authors of the different apogee games. Different times, different attitude.. great stuff.

Mercerenies

Here it is

An obscure Nintendo top-down grid-based puzzle game from 1996 with a snarky yet helpful side character. I used to play this thing for hours on end, getting to know every single puzzle by heart. And, surprisingly enough, I mainly design top-down grid-based puzzle games with snarky yet helpful side characters now.

Here it is

An obscure Nintendo top-down grid-based puzzle game from 1996 with a snarky yet helpful side character. I used to play this thing for hours on end, getting to know every single puzzle by heart. And, surprisingly enough, I mainly design top-down grid-based puzzle games with snarky yet helpful side characters now.
Never played this one but always loved the artwork!

Bakuda

My favorite used to be Link to the Past, but today I would have to say Breath of the Wild. I always loved how the original Legend of Zelda encouraged exploration and Breath of the Wild went back to its roots. It was an unforgettable adventure!