• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE First hurdle: How do I create sprites?

Godelinde

My first try with GMS2 i'm struggling with the first tutorial.
I want to create a sprite but when I do that in the Asset Browser nothing happens.
Thanks for any help.

Biscotto

Right click in Asset Browser > Create > Sprite. Then double click on the newly created sprite to open the Sprite Editor. If you want to draw the sprite manually, click the "Edit Image" button (located in the Image proprieties). You can still find all the information on the manual page I linked to you!;)

Godelinde

Right click in Asset Browser > Create > Sprite. Then double click on the newly created sprite to open the Sprite Editor. If you want to draw the sprite manually, click the "Edit Image" button (located in the Image proprieties). You can still find all the information on the manual page I linked to you!;)
Thanks for the reply @Biscotto. But when I click in Asset Browser > Create > Sprite nothing happens and no sprite is created. Other stuff works (notes, extensions, rooms, shaders, etc.) But no sprites.

Biscotto

Are you sure you made all the steps correctly?
AssetBrowser.png
Once you click on Sprite, you will automatically open the "Sprite Editor" window in your Workspace.
Workspace.png

Have you checked that you have not disabled the display of sprites inside the filters by mistake? Make sure that "Any Types" is selected, or otherwise the "Sprites" box is also checked.
Filters.png

If even after this check you can't create any Sprites, then I think there is some problem inside your IDE. try to create a new project, or reinstall the latest stable version of GM.

Godelinde

Thanks again @Biscotto. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. I'm 100% sure that I'm following your steps correctly but it still doesn't work. Even after reinstalling GM.

Biscotto

Let me know if you've worked it out. I'm curious to know if that was the problem, since I've never had anything like this happen to me!

F

FreedomChains

@Godelinde I'm having the same issue in version 2.3. I'm going to try downgrading to 2.2 unfortunately. Let me know if you find anything out beside that.

F

FreedomChains

I found out that when you create a new project without using the tutorial, creating sprites works. It just doesn't work if I use the Space Rocks GML tutorial. There could be other tutorials that don't work too. And it's possible it has something to do with importing an old project - haven't tried that yet. I submitted a bug report.

Godelinde

I found out that when you create a new project without using the tutorial, creating sprites works. It just doesn't work if I use the Space Rocks GML tutorial. There could be other tutorials that don't work too. And it's possible it has something to do with importing an old project - haven't tried that yet. I submitted a bug report.
Thanks @FreedomChains. That absolutely was the problem. Mystery solved @Biscotto.
A bit of a rough start with GMS but glad to know the community is delightful. Cheers

Biscotto

Oh, so it's a problem with the old tutorials.
If you haven't already done so, I'll report the problem right away, so there won't be any more problems like this for new users who want to follow GM's integrated tutorials.đź’Ş

R

ryhen

Just encountered this problem too. I was about to give up until I found this thread. I thought it was my laptop :/

X

xorange

Thanks everyone! Just started with GM today & found this to be a rough start as well. Took a good bit of hunting to arrive here too. As far as I can tell, it seems like one should be able to go through the tutorial in one IDE, and build the tutorial project in another. Please correct me if I'm wrong. EDIT: Yep, that is working just fine. I think I actually prefer this, as I get more room for the tutorial, and the project.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

toothmosnter

I also have this issue. I'm not sure how to open GMS2 twice on a Mac. Hopefully I can just follow along with some Youtube tutorials.