• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Fire Jump (infinite platformer tutorial) platforms spawn too far

Tomathor

Hi I am new here.
I am learning GameMaker with the fire Jump infinite platformer tutorial here. Overall it's pretty clear and I think I have followed all the right steps. however when I go and implement the vertical spawn of new platforms (they are windows) as a step event of the obj_window and then I test the game, something does not go as planned.

1633359127144.png

As you can see below the next spawned window is too far! I think I could solve this by reducing the Y coordinates of Jump to Point, but that is not how the tutorial does it, so I don't understand what I have done wrong! Also If I try to do that it creates another problem because then the platforms are too close and there is too much headroom for platforms to appear (pop-up effect) and to little flooroom for them to disappear.

1633359206825.png

Nidoking

Do you intend the new Y coordinate to be -200 absolute? That's out of the top of the room. Maybe you meant -200 relative.