• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

OFFICIAL Fire Jump - Full Game Tutorial (DnD)

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Fire Jump - Full Game DnD Tutorial Series

We are proud to release Fire Jump - a new Drag and Drop full game tutorial for GameMaker Studio 2. This new tutorial introduces the basics of GameMaker's DnD system to create your own infinite platformer game from start to finish. Designed specifically for those with little or no game design experience, Fire Jump features a step-by-step guide to making an infinite platformer game, primarily using GameMakerā€™s easy-to-use Drag and Drop (DnD) system.
undefined

In Fire Jump, players control an intrepid firefighter on a mission to rescue civilians from a burning building. As our hero leaps vertically from window to window, they must rescue civilians whilst trying to avoid those windows which are on fire. Explained in an easy to understand manner, the free tutorial includes four tutorials plus a wealth of supporting materials, teaching new users how to make a playable character, generate infinite obstacles, build a solid game loop along with menus and much more. There is also enough useful information for intermediate users to enjoy as well.
FREE DEMO GAME AND TUTORIAL LINKS

You can grab a version of the Fire Jump completed demo project to try it out for yourself HERE! You can even play a version of the game directly in your browser. Check it out!
Or you can jump right into the full 4 part tutorial series below:

Alv1s

Hello, thanks for the great tutorial. Could you please tell how it is possible to avoid when windows are being spawn on each other? I followed the tutorial precisely. I assume we should somehow calculate boundaries of existing window and adjust spawning coordinates. Thanks in advance
Windows.JPG

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Hello, thanks for the great tutorial. Could you please tell how it is possible to avoid when windows are being spawn on each other? I followed the tutorial precisely. I assume we should somehow calculate boundaries of existing window and adjust spawning coordinates. Thanks in advance
View attachment 41162
This shouldn't happen if the windows are spaced nearly evenly in the room. Something may be wrong with the actions, so can you pack up your project (File -> Export Project) and send me the .yyz in DM?

Cheers

Alv1s

This shouldn't happen if the windows are spaced nearly evenly in the room. Something may be wrong with the actions, so can you pack up your project (File -> Export Project) and send me the .yyz in DM?

Cheers
Hi thanks for the quick reply. How to attach files to DM?

I'm having the same issue with the windows spawning right on top of each other. Is there a way to tell the system not to spawn a window on top of another?

el10t

Me too. I've tried many many many different spacings. With any spacing either the windows spawn on top of each other or a new window spawns so far above existing ones that jumping to it is impossible. Anyone got any clues? Cheers.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Me too. I've tried many many many different spacings. With any spacing either the windows spawn on top of each other or a new window spawns so far above existing ones that jumping to it is impossible. Anyone got any clues? Cheers.
Please check the origin of your window sprite and make sure your code is correct as per the tutorial.
You can download the user assets which includes a project file and see how it works, you can also move the windows around in that project to experiment and to see if the behaviour is the same as in your project.

Waterlance

Can these assets be used for free/commercial games just like the YYG monthly assets, or they are on a separate more restricted license?