• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Finishing Android game in 1.4, worth it put Ads in the game?

danibus

I'm finishing (yeah) an Android game made using GM 1.4
My intention was to put some ads, just to earn some money and learn how to do it.

But now, with 1.4 going to death, maybe not a good idea.
I mean, it's possible that Google change something in the way ads work, making Ads not working in 1.4
As YYG is focused in GM 2, this fix could never arrived (I understand this position).

I just make games for fun, so I can't afford GM 2 and Android extension at this moment.

Do you people think to put ads or not with GM transition?

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
It's still worth putting ads in your game if you need it for an income. But if you won't be buying GMS 2 in the short run, you'd better learn some basic Android-specific Java to better protect yourself against ad API changes. At least you should be in a position to mod the extension at will.

But again, don't count on this working for long. The instant some breaking change happens in a part built into the runner, you're screwed for good unless you have the funds to get GMS 2 by then.

danibus

Not need the income, just learn for fun
Maybe I can make one APK with ads and another one without.
Publish ads-version, and at the moment Ads won't work, "update" with no ads-version

I'm afraid I don't have time to learn/remember Java and fight against API changes, too old for this XD

zbox

GMC Elder
Why wouldn't you! Once your game is compiled, it will work for the better time of the existence of the android ecosystem. I've got games that I compiled with ancient versions of GM that still work today, no issues. Perhaps some things like adverts may stop working because of policy changes, but your game is preserved for posterity - absolutely.