Graphics Finding the right look for your game

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by Hayes2D, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Hayes2D

Hayes2D Guest

Hi Folks,

I've started a youtube series on game art direction. If you're having trouble finding the right look for your game this might help!

As always, I love to hear your thoughts and questions!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2017
    Niels, Nux, Wayfarer and 1 other person like this.
  2. Yal

Yal GMC Memer GMC Elder

It feels like having an episode (or possibly a bunch) about programmer art and how to learn art basics could be useful, since most of the audience here start off as 'pure' programmers rather than team members that do 100% art and nothing else. Also how to select and adapt stock resources so that they fit together reasonably, since that's also a pretty big part of the lone-dev community at the moment.

Wayfarer and Hayes2D like this.
  3. Hayes2D

Hayes2D Guest

That's a great suggestion and not something I'd considered. Though there are plenty of beginner art tutorials out there I think a couple of notes on lower skilled assets would be great. I'm not too sure how to fit it into this series but hopefully one of the concepts I refine is a little more beginner friendly. The series is more focused on the process than the quality of the art so can be applied to any skill level.

Personally I think with a little bit of planning and playing to your strengths, programmer art is a better direction than stock assets. By playing on your strengths I mean use the programming side to make simpler art look better. A great example is Thomas Was Alone, it looks fantastic but the assets themselves are technically easy to create. The game shines with it's use of depth and lighting.

4. Snayff

Snayff Member

This sounds great - something I have been struggling with in the background so I am looking forward to watching the series. While only just starting to make a game it is likely a bit early but still a hurdle to overcome!

Hayes2D likes this.
  5. Hayes2D

Hayes2D Guest

Thanks, I hope it helps on your project! You'll have to keep me posted on it's progress.

I'll be working on episode 3 later today.

6. Hayes2D

Hayes2D Guest

[​IMG]

Episode 3 is recorded! They’re messy but very important.

In this stage I take on all the feedback and see how it works with the original concepts. They are a little rough around the edges but they’re perfect tools for creating the next stage of mock-ups.

Voice over and editing still remain so I'll keep you folks posted when I can.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2017
  7. Snayff

Snayff Member

The videos were an itneresting watch. I was hoping it was a series focused on how to find the right artistic style for your game, rather than the design process of an artist, but it was something I hadnt see much of before so certainly worth the watch.

I looked at your site, too. It looks like you have worked on a lot of different things! Do you have a preference for style (pixel / hand painted)? Do you have other examples of your work you could share?

8. Hayes2D

Hayes2D Guest

Hi @Snayff thanks for the feedback! I'll try go into further detail on the styles chosen and why they best fit the game.

Thanks! Honestly my preference is to not have a preference. For me it's all about the project itself. That is the majority of my best freelance work, however I do have some of my rougher work posted at https://hayes2d.tumblr.com/

9. Snayff

Snayff Member

I look forward to it!

If you're interested and available for work please pm me your rates and let's have a chat.

10. Hayes2D

Hayes2D Guest

It’s taking me a little longer than usual to find the time for editing and VO this week which has put a bit of a delay on episode 3. So to hopefully make up for this, here’s a preview of one of the mock-ups I’ve been working on for episode 4!

[​IMG]

11. Hayes2D

Hayes2D Guest

Episode 3 is now live! In this episode, I take on all your feedback and work on adding it to the chosen concepts.

As always, I love to hear your thoughts and questions!

Wayfarer likes this.
  12. Wayfarer

Wayfarer Member

Awesome, I'll watch this soon-ish. I enjoyed the previous two. Watching how people go about this kind of stuff is always very informative :)

13. Hayes2D

Hayes2D Guest

Thanks! Means allot.
    I've tried to go a little more in-depth this episode. Well that's the plan anyway!

Wayfarer likes this.
  14. Wayfarer

Wayfarer Member

Those brass/blue platforms in the "well" mockup pop out in front of the background really effectively. I'm curious to see final results of all of the mockups :D

15. Hayes2D

Hayes2D Guest

Thanks, I'm also looking forward to showing them off once complete! I did make a couple of changes come mock-up but I still kept the blue metal in other elements (the preview above might give some indication).

16. Niels

Niels Member

looking forward to watching the series

17. Hayes2D

Hayes2D Guest

Thanks! You'll have to let me know if you have any feedback. Always looking to improve the series.