Finding an art style.

Zerb Games

So I've been looking for an art style that I can use in my games. So far I've found I really like pixel art, but not so much on the lowres side. However, I tried the Minecraft route when it came to art, not caring about a palette that is, and it turned out looking like crap :p.

Then I found Hyper Light Drifter, couldn't really quite replicate it's art style, but to this day I would love to. Perhaps you guys wouldn't mind sharing how?

Then I started experimenting like crazy, I found a few art styles that I really liked, but none would work for my current project which I need to be high rez. So I switched to 256 color palette with dithering style.

This is my most recent attempt, I used dithering to try to make 48 colors look like a lot more than they are, I find it quite pretty :) Let me know what you think.
upload_2016-11-3_18-0-32.png

Ninety

One background isn't a "style". Style in games is a lot about cohesion between separate assets and your background doesn't show much, so until we see more of your art it's hard to give you advice on your work.

Then I found Hyper Light Drifter, couldn't really quite replicate it's art style, but to this day I would love to. Perhaps you guys wouldn't mind sharing how?
I think this betrays a lot about your approach. "Style" isn't something that can be found with a tutorial, like "five easy steps to replicating HLD's art" or whatever. It's about the tiny decisions you make when creating your art, that all add up to something greater. Focus on making good art first, and you'll find that a style naturally develops.

That said, it's a pretty nice background.