Distribution Find out my name

C

Clemens van Brunschot

Suppose that someone starts really studying and decompiling my distributed game. Will they find my name (from the registration at YoYo Games) somewhere?
(BTW I don't want them to. My motivation for that is not the issue here.)

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Its Clemens van Brunschot

Also it is possible to decompile gamemaker games (I can not confirm or deny that I've done so)
But really theres no prime reason too, you dont get any information thats hidden besides the games raw files that cant be read without the original Project file. as far as I know theres no way to recreate a project file from the files ripped from a game or more specifically the data.win file

Last edited:
C

Clemens van Brunschot

Is that so?

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Lonewolff

Yep. :D

As for the original question. Only YYG would really know.

M

MishMash

If you have your name mentioned somewhere in your project, either through credits, files or app details, then sure. If there is no mention of your name, i.e. your PC name is registered as an Alias. If you are truly concerned about it, why not just put a fake name everywhere?

L

Lonewolff

If you have your name mentioned somewhere in your project, either through credits, files or app details, then sure. If there is no mention of your name, i.e. your PC name is registered as an Alias. If you are truly concerned about it, why not just put a fake name everywhere?
My deeper interpretation of the initial question was "does YYG encode my user ID in to the exe file". Thus, giving the ability for YYG to determine who created the game.

I don't personally think that your clear text name is encoded in the game. This could be determined with a simple hex editor search anyway.

Its Clemens van Brunschot

Also it is possible to decompile gamemaker games (I can not confirm or deny that I've done so)
But really theres no prime reason too, you dont get any information thats hidden besides the games raw files that cant be read without the original Project file. as far as I know theres no way to recreate a project file from the files ripped from a game or more specifically the data.win file
I've had to decompile my own code. The project got blanked and the backups weren't working apparently. It was a giant pain to sort through the extra clutter that the compiled code leaves.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
In case of VM, actually all your GML code and shaders is in the .win file, pretty much readable.
Only shaders are preserved. GML is compiled to bytecode with comments/enums/macro names/inactive preprocessed branches/etc. stripped out.

As for the original question, you can indeed make a test executable and check with a hex editor as to what information is stored. GM does not store any profile information unless you put that in yourself as a string - at most people could identify that two executable files were compiled from the same GM license, but even that requires a substantial reverse engineering effort and understanding of underlying mechanisms.

rIKmAN

My deeper interpretation of the initial question was "does YYG encode my user ID in to the exe file". Thus, giving the ability for YYG to determine who created the game.
Yeah my first thoughts were they are either using a cracked version of GMS or are creating something which violates the the ToS and so don't want it traced back to them inadvertently.

OP: Just put "Made by: Your Mum" as a string somewhere, that'll confuse em! ;)

S

Sam (Deleted User)

They did actually attempt to make a decompiler that worked very specifically with decompiling Undertale in mind, but I don't know if it actually works because I'm not about to get my licenses revoked for downloading it.