GameMaker File size of YYC compiler for iOS and Android

Stephane

We're preparing our worldwide launch (10 languages and 70+ countries) of Sudoku Scramble and have a question regarding the YYC compiler. We've found that our game is more stable when compiled with the YYC, both on Android and iOS. However, our file size has increased by almost 40%. With the regular compiler (virtual machine), we are around 60mb as compared to 82mb with the YYC compiler.

Is there anything that we can do to bring down the file size on with YYC? Thanks!

I'd love to share more if anyone has any questions.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Hello! Okay, so the YYC generates faster code, but this requires an increase in the code required to run the game... Basically, the C++ compiler output code is larger (but much faster) than the VM code. Also, when compiling you can strip out unrequired architectures from the Android Game Options (they add extra bloat) and with the 2.2.4 beta you can create an AAB file which will split the download size for users as they'll only download what they require for the game on their device. As a side note for iOS, just use the arm64 architecture when building too, and there are various options in xcode that can influence the size of the code that is created so there is also the option of editing stuff in that.

Stephane

Hello! Okay, so the YYC generates faster code, but this requires an increase in the code required to run the game... Basically, the C++ compiler output code is larger (but much faster) than the VM code. Also, when compiling you can strip out unrequired architectures from the Android Game Options (they add extra bloat) and with the 2.2.4 beta you can create an AAB file which will split the download size for users as they'll only download what they require for the game on their device. As a side note for iOS, just use the arm64 architecture when building too, and there are various options in xcode that can influence the size of the code that is created so there is also the option of editing stuff in that.
Thanks for the response. We've updated to the latest GMS build and should have our first AAB out within the next few days. I'll let you know how it goes. ;)

Stephane

We're having a problem with the new update. We're not able to validate any IAPs on iOS anymore.

We're also unable to find the extension method "ios_iap_ValidateReceipt on class iOS_InAppPurchase". We're using the Yoyogames iOS_IAPs extension.

We've been trying to fix it for a few days now, but no luck yet. I thought I'd see if you knew of any issues related to this.

Stephane

We figured it out. That IDE says there's an argument for the call to ios_iap_ValidateReceipt, but only Android needs an argument. It's the argument that was causing the call to fail. It's fixed now.