• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE File size of executable installer(SOLVED)

C

Clemens van Brunschot

Hi all, from the Netherlands, in the Eindhoven area. I am very new to GMS 2 (paid Windows version, downloaded to my laptop, not the Steam version, I like it a lot) and I managed to build my first project prototype.
But I encountered a problem now. This is my very first post.
My project files on disk are 50 MB (coming from 100 MB before size reduction actions), but my executable installer for Windows will not drop below 131 MB (coming from 149 MB).
This can hardly be normal...
What I did was: (1) reduce audio and graphics sizes, (2) rebuild sprites and objects, (3) many cleanups from the Build menu, (4) saved as a different project, (5) tried VM and YYC compilations, (6) reinstall the program, (7) restart Windows.
And after all these actions I encountered some more problems like the game starting with a white screen and unexpected behaviour of some of the keyboard keys.

Is it likely that the only solution is to totally rebuild the project (as is sometimes advised)?
Does anybody have experience with this?

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Clemens van Brunschot

The white screen when starting the game is very persistent.
However, if I build a new test game (almost empty), installer exe file size is only 16 MB and I do not get the white screen when starting the installed game.
So one tends to conclude that my other project has become messed up and calls for a rebuild., which is not unreasonable for a first game that a beginner builds...
Do you have experience with this?

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Scrapping everything should be a last resort, if anything at all.

Try exporting your project as a .yyz (File -> Export Project) and then importing it back into an empty project. This should get rid of any orphan files that may or may not reside in your project's file tree.

Regarding file size, I suggest checking which files end up taking up how much space in the final exported build. Keep in mind that source file sizes are usually going to be smaller than exported file sizes. If you're doing some fancy things to reduce the sizes of your graphics or audio, abandon the thought that they will make it into the final build, as most things are re-compressed on build anyway unless you explicitly include them as included files instead of sprite or audio resources. (I'm not telling you to do that instead, just explaining how to avoid re-compression, which, for the sake of reducing file size, is not worth it by any stretch of your imagination.)

Regarding white screens or any other behavior that can be described as programming-related issues, please try to isolate the issue (make a copy of your project, remove as much as you can to still let the game run and exhibit the issue) and post a new topic in the Programming forum alongside your findings.

C

Clemens van Brunschot

Thanks a lot for your time and thinking, @TsukaYuriko. I already tried the export/import route. And I noticed that compressing stuff does not solve the issue.
But still the executable is blown up to a size 2-3 times of the sum of the project files.
It may have started when I imported an extremely large animated GIF file, something I'll never do again (;). Cleanups may not have eradicated that...
I mentioned the white screen problem as a further indication that the project may have gone sour or something.
I have also another indication for that, but that will surely be regarded as off-topic. It's in a different thread already.
The data.win of the installed game is 132 MB big. Is there a way to check its contents?

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Thanks a lot for your time and thinking, @TsukaYuriko. I already tried the export/import route. And I noticed that compressing stuff does not solve the issue.
But still the executable is blown up to a size 2-3 times of the sum of the project files.
Compressing source files will at most make you think that your exported project should take up less space - the source files will be smaller, while the output is unaffected. All it does is save file size for the source files.

A file size increase is expected when exporting the game - keep in mind that your game's data doesn't only consist of your game, but also of the runner. When running from inside the IDE, the default runner that comes with every GMS installation is used - when you export your game, that of course can't be done because not everyone has GMS installed, so it has to be bundled with the game. Audio files will be re-compressed and may take up more space than the source files (and most likely take up the vast majority of space). Sprites will be arranged onto texture pages, up to around half of which can consist of empty space under the most unfortunate circumstances. Any file size reduction as a result of compression applied to the source files is lost during this process as well.

It may have started when I imported an extremely large animated GIF file, something I'll never do again (;). Cleanups may not have eradicated that...
I doubt it. All that should be able to cause is IDE instability due to running out of RAM while loading the file. Deleting stuff from the resource tree should delete it on disk unless specified otherwise, and even then, an export and import should get rid of orphan files. I'm unaware of cases where resources developed poltergeist syndrome and continued haunting the games after being removed, but you're free to become the very first GMC Buster.

The data.win of the installed game is 132 MB big. Is there a way to check its contents?
Inspecting the contents of data.win is not intended, but one thing you can do is setting all audio to "Compressed - Streamed". This will bundle the audio files to the same folder as the game's .exe file. If my suspicion is correct, this should vastly reduce the file size of data.win as all audio will now be stored outside of it. (If the audio files that are created this way are larger than the originals, you could sneaky-sneakily replace them and your game shouldn't complain if the original format is compatible with your target platform.)

C

Clemens van Brunschot

I am much impressed with your help. I will follow your tips and also gain knowledge by gradually adding the resource elements to a new project. This will also show if the game's white start screen and the other issue reappear. I am a research analyst by nature. The end conclusions will be posted here. Thank you immensely.

C

Clemens van Brunschot

One conclusion I can already share, happily, @TsukaYuriko. Setting all audio (6 music pieces in my case) to compressed-streamed reduced executable size from 130 MB to 52 MB, of which 47 MB installed.
Great !! So executable size was not caused by problems in the IDE.
Later I'll add a conclusion about the problem with the game-start-white-screen to this post. I suspect that it is related to the IDE and not to my GML coding. We'll see.
Later addition: I now suspect that loading many large graphics at the start is causing a problem. I'll try and solve that with using included files.