• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Legacy GM file directory to save to? (solved)

J

jb skaggs

When I programmed in the old gamer maker (ver 8 and before) I could easily choose to save to directories. That does not seem to be the case now. The manual says that files have been sandboxed by STEAM. The files save instead to appdata dir.

Am I understanding that correctly?

I am currently writing a small art game program and I need to be able to save the files to a dir of users choosing. Can I still do that? I so how? This is for windows using studio 1.4

NightFrost

GM is sandboxed these days, so your default options are limited to appdata. You can use get_save_filename for a file dialog, and it grants an exception for the duration of the game. You need to redo that the next time you start, and it cannot be handled transparently. I think the sandboxing was explained either as extra security or making it beginner friendly, and AFAIK they're not presently considering adding a kind of switch to turn off sandboxing.

J

jb skaggs

GM is sandboxed these days, so your default options are limited to appdata. You can use get_save_filename for a file dialog, and it grants an exception for the duration of the game. You need to redo that the next time you start, and it cannot be handled transparently. I think the sandboxing was explained either as extra security or making it beginner friendly, and AFAIK they're not presently considering adding a kind of switch to turn off sandboxing.
Thanks! Much appreciated- the file dialog will be fine.