• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion File and ghost call of a file

M

Mr Nazarick

Good evening (Or Hello, it must be early in the day by your home),

In advance sorry for the title a little original, but I did not know how to spell my little worries.

While watching my "Output" dock during a run, I noticed that there was a small mistake. Quite strange, by the way.
RetrieveJSON - failed to find: C:\Users\***\Desktop\***\***\***\datafiles_yy\Nouveau document texte.txt.yy
This file "Nouveau document test.txt.yy" was a test I had done a while ago to process json/text data and see how my code would react to an empty file (brief). As a result, this file no longer exists at all (the proof by the error) but above all there is no longer any code that refers to it.

So I wonder, how can my project still look to recover this file? Could it be a cache to clean or something?

If you have already had such events and you have an idea about the source I'm interested.

This does not cause any problems with the execution of my project, but I find the error strange.

In advance I thank you for your help.

Regards,
Mr Nazarick

Edit :

In Project yyp file i've found there :
Code:
        {
            "Key": "c7da17e5-82d9-4302-b347-18d17fc3ee18",
            "Value": {
                "id": "e18f0526-9988-4cde-abb1-b4045e2dad88",
                "resourcePath": "datafiles_yy\\Nouveau document texte.txt.yy",
                "resourceType": "GMIncludedFile"
            }
        }
I clean my registry, run a "clean" in GameMaker but nothing works, this block is still and always.

I do not understand how to set this apart from manual but it would seem strange to me to have to do it manually.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Hello! That looks like the IDE has not properly removed the references to the file when you deleted it from the resource tree. Can I request that you export the file as a YYZ and then file a bug report (from the HELP menu in GMS2, "Report a Bug") and link to this topic and include a download link for the YYZ of the project? Once you've done that, you can try saving the project using a different name (so "Save as" from the FILE menu), and then close and re-open GMS2 and load the new save. Hopefully that should clear the bad reference.

M

Mr Nazarick

Hello,

PS: Sorry if my English is not perfect. I am French and technical English is sometimes not very easy ^^

For this time sorry I will not be able to provide the file yyz with the error in question. Before you saw that you had answered I had done some tests and I found the cause of the problem.

I had deleted the file "Nouveaudocument texte.txt" and its file "yy" manually in the explorer. As a result, the reference has never been removed from the Project.yyp file.

Out of curiosity I created a new file "Document.txt" from GameMaker, and I went to get the number (Key) that had the file "Nouveaudocument texte.txt" and I recreated the file "yy" with the good key.

Then I went back to GameMaker Studio 2 and I deleted the file.

A bit messy manually but the problem came from the way I deleted the file originally. I should not have deleted it manually but go through GameMaker to delete it.

And saving the project under a new name does not change anything because my project name has already changed since the bug was already there and the reference was well and truly!

On the other hand, I allow myself a little question about the functioning of GameMaker itself.

At the opening of a project, does GameMaker check the existence of the files that are listed in the "yyp" file of the said project ?

I do not have the impression, so I think it might be useful to have access to a command (put in a menu for example "Re-build") that would launch a check of this file to update it if any false references would have remained there. Or to do this verification directly at the opening of the project. Or, run this check when we perform a clean (F7).

In any case, thank you for your responsiveness.

Regards,
Mr Nazarick