Fighting Game demo w/Game Maker Studio

H

humblefly

Hello,
I've been working on a fighting game for the past 9 months in GMS 1.4.
It's called Tiger Tournament and uses digitized graphics much like old 90's arcade games. The game is still in development and I only have 1 working character at the moment but I have a playable demo available if anyone is interested. If you do play it, I'd be interested in feedback.
Also you can visit the Facebook page as well. I do all my updates over there.
https://www.facebook.com/tigertournamentofficial

DOWNLOAD DEMO
http://tigertournament.humblefly.net/downloads.html

I will include some screenshots and a video.

VIDEO

www.facebook.com/tigertournamentofficial/videos/380985529109870

H

humblefly

Looks excellent.

Could you share with us how you planned arranged for the photoshoot?
I'm not sure I understand correctly, but I set up a green screen and acted out all the moves while we filmed on video. I took frames out of the video to make the sprites. I still have to go back and film a couple more missing animations when I start filming again. I will be filming more characters over the winter. I do have a video on Facebook of some of the motion capture. Look in the video section.

Damn, dude. That looks great. Really nailed that MK aesthetic. The animations looked fantastic, the idle especially, though I think you may have removed too many frames with the walking animation, as it looked noticeably nanny compared to the rest.
Looking forward to seeing this develop.

Field Magic

This is fantastic to see in motion. You've done such a great job of the filming and animation, it looks so believable. Gameplay was pretty solid too and I really felt It improved on a lot of the classic Mortal Kombat mechanics. I agree that his walk was prob a bit slow (which you've fixed anyway), unless you plan on adding a dash or run then it won't matter.

I also applaud you on setting up and planning your character for palettes! I can only imagine that would've been a bit of work.

H

humblefly

This is fantastic to see in motion. You've done such a great job of the filming and animation, it looks so believable. Gameplay was pretty solid too and I really felt It improved on a lot of the classic Mortal Kombat mechanics. I agree that his walk was prob a bit slow (which you've fixed anyway), unless you plan on adding a dash or run then it won't matter.

I also applaud you on setting up and planning your character for palettes! I can only imagine that would've been a bit of work.
Actually, I couldn't use a palette swapping option as the sprites as they contained a higher color count than 256, so when I tried to create an indexed image it ended up looking like crap. Instead I have two individual sets of sprites one for the Blue (Player1) and Green (Player2).

Really I have two main objects for the players, o_Player1 and o_Player2 which are then "skinned" with data. The objects finds out what character they are supposed to be and loads the appropriate scripts and sprites for that character. If Player1 is the same character, Player2 knows to change the character sprite to the second one. All of the sprites for one character are all loaded into 2 sprite files, Player1 and 2. It uses a finite state machine to handle the animations, by checking which state it is in (Idle, Walking, etc) and in that state it finds out what animation number goes with that and changes to that. In the animation script, it's like a state machine as well where it dictates, by animation number, which image_index to call, for how long, and what order they go in.

I've been working on this game for almost 9 months now, and it's really been a learning experience on coding. The next thing to attempt will be coding the A.I.

Field Magic

oh I see, I ran into the same problem and and going to have to use image blend and hue/ saturation to tweak it. which might work for you (you might be able to tweak it to replace colours) as you planned it a lot better than I did! My game isn't really serious in tone so was even thinking about making the second colour "evil" or "noob" by making them black and white or silhouette haha

I have set up the similar system, its making the addition of new characters so much easier and I can focus on animation and fighting style.
My ai reacts to the what the player is doing depending on the distance they are at.. if the opponent is close, ducking and attacking pick from these attacks or movements.. its kind of dirty but still believable and fun haha. For difficulty theres a variable that controls their wait time after attacks.

PS I love the Dim Mak reference, I'm guttered I never thought of it ;)

H

humblefly

Yeah good old Bloodsport reference of Dim Mak haha. The AI you described is pretty much how I started coding mine. I couldn't figure out how to get it to learn, so I have it making decisions based on the players distance and attack type as well as letting it decide to wait and do nothing as an option. I'm glad someone else did it this way so now I know it wasn't a cheap idea nobody would've done. I really couldn't code my way out of a paper Mario bag 9 months ago. I just decided to dive in even with such an ambitious project and push until I got somewhere. I used to work with MUGEN years ago, so I tried to model my engine around how it worked. Complete with "animtime" and "stateType" and "moveType" variables. I had to build the whole system from the ground up as judging by the lack of tutorials or information available on making fighting games with GMS. I thought most people only made shooters, Mario games or RPGs.

Geoff Jones

Awesome work man. I found myself playing it over and over even though I was just beating up a dummy. The controls are perfect. Kicks and punches are totally satisfying. The one nitpick, is I think you need to take more care with the preparation for filming. There are very obvious creases/folds in the clothing. Something to think about when filming the next lot of characters.

H

humblefly

Thanks everyone I'm glad people are enjoying it. I'll be adding A.I. at some point and working on new characters in the coming months. All the latest updates will be posted on the Facebook page.