Feedback Feedback on my rain

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by teamrocketboyz, Aug 12, 2019 at 9:36 PM.

1. teamrocketboyz

teamrocketboyz Member

Hello all im wondering if its possible to get some feedback on a rain effect ive been trying to achieve over the last day or so......... art isnt my strong point but i kind of like how this little project looks so far ( sorry its similar to limbo in the sense that its black and white)

it started out as a small room to test a rain effect on and has slowly become what you see here. im considering keeping the art style too but im not too sure yet.

thank you in advance. ps the rain comes in at the end.

SnotWaffle Studios likes this.
  2. KPJ

KPJ Member

Nice effect, but I would recommend making the particles longer, since right now it looks more like a snow than rain

3. teamrocketboyz

teamrocketboyz Member

thanks mate your totally right. i was so obsessed with making the rain fall correctly i totally forgot to edit its shape. and the rain isnt particles, i know it should be but ive not used the system before an therefore done each rain drop as a object. im still hitting 2000fps+ and its onlt for a small segment of this project so should be ok fingers crossed.

updated video, i have made the settings darker too.

4. Toque

Toque Member

5. NeoShade

NeoShade Member

It looks really cool so far, but I suggest more drops. It feels very sparse at the moment, as if you could almost dodge the rain drops if you wanted to. I reckon it could easily have twice as many drops falling without it feeling like too much.

6. Toque

Toque Member

Or start sparse and intensify a little. Like a real rain would.

KPJ and SnotWaffle Studios like this.
  7. teamrocketboyz

teamrocketboyz Member

thank you guys i have implemented your suggestion and made it start and end slow. it looks better but the fps has taken a big hit. im thinking theres too many rain drops now haha but im not sure.

sitebender likes this.
  8. pixeltroid

pixeltroid Member

Looks cool. I especially like the splatter effect when the drops touches the player

But IMO it can be improved

In actual rainfall...
    - There are more raindrops
    - The raindrops are elongated like lines
    - The raindrops are uniformly closer to each other
    - The raindrops fall faster
    - The rain falls usually at an angle

Since you're working on a 2D platformer, you could study the way rainfall is shown in old SNES classics to feel inspired. Here's one example that I liked:

see from 17:05 onwards.

Toque likes this.
  9. sitebender

sitebender Member

Longer rain streaks and make it at a slight angle?

Toque likes this.