GMC Forums Feedback for feedback

G

Gedor Games

Hello everyone!

So I have been thinking about this idea for awhile now and I think it is about time to make it happen. As a game developer when you are working on your game, one very important factor is to get feedback in order to improve it and stay motivated to go on. There are a lot of games in the WIP forum and some of them are getting a lot of attension and feedback while others gets very little or none at all, so my idea for this subject is to make all members here who are working on something to get more feedback for your game.

As the title suggest, you get feedback by giving feedback to others. The only requirement for being a part of this is to have a downloadable demo of your game in the WIP section, it is mostly aimed at those games who are not getting a lot of attension but even if you have a lot of feedback and just wants more you are more than welcome to join this group. This will only be for games in the GMC and no finished games but only games that people are working on since those games are in most need of feedback imo.

How this works is basically that if you are interested in this then you join the group and you are free to contact other members of the group and ask them if you can give them feedback on their game and that they in return gives feedback to your game. When you do this it can be a good habit to give them a link to your topic in the WIP forum so they wont have to look it up and especially if your topic has not been updated for awhile.

Even if you are a member of this group you are of course free to decline someones request but try not to do it for another reason than that you have already accepted someones else request. The reason for this group is to get feedback for your game by giving feedback, so if you are picky about which games you wanna play and if you are really busy with other stuff then this group probably is not for you.

In order to prevent someone from misusing this it is probably good as a policy to contact the person and let you know that you have played his/her game but not post the feedback until that person contact you and says the same thing. There is no time limit on how long this should take but it should not take more than one week before both feedbacks are posted.

All feedbacks are being posted in the WIP forum for that game and there are no exact rules on how the feedback should look like other than that it has to help the developer on what things are good and which things that can be improved. Here are some points that can be of help:

1. Not to short, saying things like "Good fun game, I liked it " is not something that will help the developer much. If you liked the game say why it was fun and why you liked it.
  2. Take up some things you liked about the game and which things that can be improved like graphic, sounds, controls and gameplay.
  3. As always be polite and civil and if you dont like the game be free to say it but do it in a nice way without being insulting
Once you have given the feedback to someones game and recieved feedback in return you are free to contact other members if you want more feedback, there is no limit to how many times you wanna do this. If someone misbehaves by either not giving any feedback to someone who has given feedback to them or the feedback is just a one liner than I will exclude that member from the group.

You become a member in this group by either replying to this topic and say that you wanna join or by giving me a message, dont join if you have to much to do but in that case maybe come back a little later when you have freed up more time. All the members will be listed here on this topic and I will update it as soon as I can so everyone knows who they can contact for feedback. If you are satisfied with the feedbacks you got or if you have other things you priorities more than you can always leave this group, you are free to rejoin again at any time if you wish.

I hope this will be a help to everyone who wants more feedback and hopefully that this will increase the feedback for many games that needs it. Maybe you will even found some really good games that you might have overlooked otherwise. If people are interested I will keep this group going and try to do my best to update it as often as I can, if you have any suggestions and ideas about the group let me know so I can make it better.

Looking forward to your feedbacks :)

M

MEITdev

I support this initiative 200...no 300%!! :)
I don't have a demo, but can I join anyway? This thread could help me keep track of the games I could do a video feedback for ^_^

G

Gedor Games

I support this initiative 200...no 300%!! :)
I don't have a demo, but can I join anyway? This thread could help me keep track of the games I could do a video feedback for ^_^
You have been a huge support for the community with your honest feedback videos which in my opinion is far superior than any written feedback can be since we get to watch your reactions when you first play the games, with that being said I think you have more than earned an exeption to the rule ;)
Just out of curiosity when do you think you will have a demo of your game, I would love to play it once it is done.

Members so far:

@Gedor Games
@MEITdev

I guess we have to wait a little until we have more members since you already have done a video of my game and I cant play yours yet :)
But otherwise this list will be a reference to which members you can get in touch with to share feedback.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
You know, personally, I dislike this kind of thing... "You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" is the basis for most forms of corruption, and no matter how honest you try to be about a game, in the back of your mind there is always the feeling that if you say it sucks, they'll then view your game in a more negative manner, and so you (albeit subconsciously) bias your review to have a more favourable approach.

Now, I know you have a "safety check" in place:

In order to prevent someone from misusing this it is probably good as a policy to contact the person and let you know that you have played his/her game but not post the feedback until that person contact you and says the same thing. There is no time limit on how long this should take but it should not take more than one week before both feedbacks are posted.
but unless you can guarantee that both reviews go up at the same instant then it's a token check and nothing more. I can easily say that I've played and reviewed the game then wait for the other person's review of my own game before publishing my review... which I could then write based on how nice the feedback received was.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea that more people play more games, and I love that the community is trying to put together groups of people willing to help each other with their projects... however I have grave doubts about the effectiveness of most of these ventures.

G

Gedor Games

You know, personally, I dislike this kind of thing... "You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" is the basis for most forms of corruption, and no matter how honest you try to be about a game, in the back of your mind there is always the feeling that if you say it sucks, they'll then view your game in a more negative manner, and so you (albeit subconsciously) bias your review to have a more favourable approach.

Now, I know you have a "safety check" in place:

but unless you can guarantee that both reviews go up at the same instant then it's a token check and nothing more. I can easily say that I've played and reviewed the game then wait for the other person's review of my own game before publishing my review... which I could then write based on how nice the feedback received was.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea that more people play more games, and I love that the community is trying to put together groups of people willing to help each other with their projects... however I have grave doubts about the effectiveness of most of these ventures.
Well I understand your concern and you have a point in what you say but at the same time I just wanted to do something for the games that dont recieve much feedback and wants it. In this way they can at least get some feedback without to much work. I know that they are other people doing similar things but if you just can pick any game to give feedback to than it is most probably just gonna be the games that are already popular.
The feedback itself is not really about if the game is good or not but more about bringing up things that are good and things that you dont like so the developer have something to work with.

I know that this can be misused but I would asume that most members here are not gonna do that but use it to help others, at leasts if this community is as helpful that people say that it is. Of course the rules I have made for this group is not perfect which is why I ask people to give their thought on it so that I can improve it but I think the idea is really good.
Anyway if people are not interested than I guess I will just have to drop this.

RangerX

Honestly I've been in the Knytt and Knytt Stories forums for years and that "feedback for feedback" was an actual rule in the forum. You simply don't post feedback if you're not ready to return it.
My experience in that forum was actually amazing and you were receiving TREMENDOUSLY more feedback on your creation. Easily outweigths any possible flaws.

Nocturne said:

This doesn't really happen. The opposite does. People don't want crappy feedback so they avoid giving it.

Last edited: