• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

csanyk

upload_2016-12-12_10-17-22.png

I love that you're soliciting feedback like this; I just wish I could skip questions that I'm not ready to answer yet.

csanyk

I believe the button that says "does not apply" is for that purpose, right?
I don't see that... where is it?

Oh, never mind, I found it. It's the icon that looks like a chat bubble... Well, that's a good example of how GMS2 icons are not always the most easy to understand. At least hovering on it gives a tool tip.

Last edited:

Llama_Code

Well, I didn't even realize that chat bubble was a choice. I thought it was just graphic. That's good to know. I have been skipping the ones where I couldn't answer both.

csanyk

Well, I didn't even realize that chat bubble was a choice. I thought it was just graphic. That's good to know. I have been skipping the ones where I couldn't answer both.
I know! A good UI designer would know that a better "skip" icon would improve their response rate. A "N/A" icon, or something. What does a voice bubble have to do with skipping a question?

There's no telling how many times I declined to respond to the survey before I finally decided to post this. Or how many people submitted a bogus response just so they could reply to the one question that they did want to answer. I'd been assuming that if I clicked the voice bubble icon it would give me a bigger text field to compose my notes in!

csanyk

Coming up with the literally thousands of little icons throughout the product is no mean feat, and I'm sure if you did it there would be a few that others would struggle with.

Also, a quick search on the forums would have given you the answer...

https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/option-to-turn-off-surveys.13610/#post-90412
I definitely struggle with icon design. It takes real talent and insight to do them well. No need to be defensive. I'm offering constructive criticism, and pointing out issues is the first step to fixing them.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
We try hard to make things as visual as possible, not only to help pack the dialogs a bit, but to help with translations - "N/A" for example would require a new image for each translation, but it does get hard to try and thing of a constant stream of new things you've got to portray as a little image.

csanyk

We try hard to make things as visual as possible, not only to help pack the dialogs a bit, but to help with translations - "N/A" for example would require a new image for each translation, but it does get hard to try and thing of a constant stream of new things you've got to portray as a little image.
Granted, localization issues are real. Just how localized is GMS tho? Do you have translations of the manual into languages other than English? Are there GML functions in other languages? It seems like a mostly Anglophilic environment, even if users from many cultures work with it.

As a more practical suggestion, I'd suggest a circle-slash or x icon to skip survey questions. Or even just present a single question at a time.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
The IDE is fully translatable, and depending on the regions we move into, we'll tackle the manual then.

csanyk

The IDE is fully translatable, and depending on the regions we move into, we'll tackle the manual then.
That's good! I think that localization is important. You spoke to the IDE, but what about to GML itself? Would you have French, Spanish, Russian, etc. equivalents to the GML reserved words that are currently in English?

(Good job on supporting "color" vs. "colour" by the way. We yanks appreciate that :)

I saw a UX video on why little icons like this are completely awful compared to simple buttons with words on them from a user standpoint. I'll try to find it for you. Iirc, as an example, menu buttons that simply say "menu" on them are like five times more likely to be clicked than that stupid three horizontal lines button that's been gaining traction over the last few years. And that's for a symbol that's "recognized" now! Imagine how well your "chat bubble means 'skip question'" fares in comparison!

I think having icons that need to be learned for the main window isn't too bad if it helps with efficiency later. The old GM was good for that, before studio. I could find the bright red "create sprite" button in a tenth of a second, and it saved on UI space. You should think carefully about icons, though. A lot of the time, they really hurt usability just to look "cool."