1. Hey! Guest! The 36th GMC Jam will take place between February 27th, 12:00 UTC - March 2nd, 12:00 UTC. Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. NOTICE: We will be applying a Xenforo update on Tuesday 25th of February. This means that from approximately 10:00 to 14:00 BST the forums will be offline (or possibly longer). Sorry for the inconvenience! Official Announcement here.

Demo [February Update!] Action RogueLike Prototype

Discussion in 'Work in Progress' started by PNelly, Oct 17, 2019.

1. PNelly

PNelly Member

February 2020!

Time does fly! (You all know this). Carson and I have moved through a second re-styling of the game, and have a third upcoming.

This is where we've been - which we ended up not liking - and where we've decided to move towards

Past:

Future:

[​IMG]

Jet black & white has a higher visual impact and makes a cohesive aesthetic more easily achieved. Some highlight coloring and color rich effects might be an enhancement.

We made big strides in audio. The game was entirely silent, so we took two weeks to prioritize soundscape in, and my musically talented older brother has volunteered to compose some music for us! Very exciting.

In gameplay - our inventory mechanics have been built out, several new weapons have been added, and we've done away with the distinction between primary and secondary weapons. They're all more interchangeable for more interesting build choices.

Communication has improved considerably. Describing what UI elements do, messaging about what's happening, item stats, and the like.

There are some new enemy types, and a skeleton of progression between open world game stages. Beware of the storm!

As before, FREE demo available for Windows and MacOS on Itch: https://perchdrunkthugz.itch.io/codename-mad-mark

# # # #

This is "Mad Mark" until we've got a proper name!

Take to the desert on your dusty cycle, using your wits and scrap to fight the good fight!

This is a progressing build of what we're envisioning as an open-world, action rogue-like inspired by Faster than Light (Subset Games) and Rider's of Rhea (David Lloyd of Powerhoof).

[Much much past]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for Looking!
    Patrick & Carson

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020 at 8:00 PM
    Cpaz likes this.
  2. Cpaz

Cpaz Member

I really like how this feels! Although, I will say, i'd like alternate key bindings. Or at least some way of changing them (i'm a lefty).
    But yeah, seems promising! Is there anything beyond just a motorcycle shootout right now? Or is there anything to explore or discover?

3. PNelly

PNelly Member

December update available to play! All thoughts welcome.

Cheers,
    PNelly

4. PNelly

PNelly Member

February 2020 update! Details included in the top post. Free demo available on Itch.

@Cpaz I'd like to acknowledge your post from way back in October, thanks for taking the time to browse and play! Your request for key bindings did actually make it onto the feature list, I'd like to see that happen. What keys would work well for a lefty?

At the time, it was just the motorcycle shootout as you ask. Now there's a small population of items to go discover, and at least some progression between levels. Beware the storm ;)

5. Cpaz

Cpaz Member

That's where you're going to get many differing opinions.
    I've heard of people who use the arrow keys religiously, some have used OKL and ";", but I personally use IJKL.
    There's never really been a standard set by any lefty out there. I'll personally probably use IJKL as the left-handed default, but your best bet is to have rebindable keys.

But hey! I'll always appreciate being considered when discussing left-handed controls! Especially when talking about PC games. Thanks!

6. scorpafied

scorpafied Member

cool to see so many improvements.

if your looking for some inspiration for black and white games two really amazing ones are "gato roboto" and "bob & bernard against the nazis"

u might be able to get some ideas how they did certain things.

in regards to key bindings i dont use any of the discussed. id say the best trade off is to amke the current ones the default. and in a menu allow people to change the controls to whatever